14 hours to the city of lights

Varanasi Travel Blog

Another town

Said goodbye to Normen and everyone we met in Calcutta then headed to Varanasi by train at 8pm. Bought 4 boxes of Kabab to be a spare food on train, haha. Ale ordered!! Took a taxi to be there but he heard it wrong so he stopped us at Bus station! Oh well. So we said no no we wanted to go to the "Train" station not "Bus", he seemed to be upset coz traffic at night was a mess. A half and hour later we're there. He wanted us to pay more, he said coz he went to two places! So ... our fault???? Nahhhh, you misunderstood, so we paid what we had to pay. And rannnnn .. hahah ..

This is the biggest train station, they said. We got the no.12, very far. We found no.12 but it's very long. Had no idea which one is our bogie, there had a sign but no words appear.

There is a casket.
All we could do was just asking and asking and asking .. and waiting without knowing if it's right. Here couldn't smoke!! Ahhhh ... I know smoking is not good but .. when a smoker couldn't smoke was worst!!

While we were waiting there, at the opposite side, one family is carrying a casket. "People go there to die, Varanasi", someone said. What about us???? (A little bit scary ..) ... i'll tell you more about this.  Then the train came, we got the sleeping tickets. Not sure if i could  describe it very well but in our bogie had 6 beds as a geneal train. At the window had two iron string which if something had happen, this wasn't be the way to get out. Inside the train can't smoke .. ahhh .. first time that i saw something to be organised and gave a respect to others.

...zzzzz Aleks
Coz everywhere in India, they smoke .. even in a bus but not here.

We were on the left side of the train, i chose to stay on the second floor. (no window but had a fan) ... Because the train took 14 hours, so after two hours passed, all indians had changed their dresses to sleep. Wow, they prepared! Then had dinner which they cooked from home. An old man next to me ate Banana with Bread :D oooh so powerful! Another gang brought Dalbhat. Me and Ale got only Kebab but we don't feel to eat. Almost midnight i went up to sleep. It's hot but trying to sleep to dream of cigarettes haha. Woke up again when i heard it was raining outside. Time passed fast, again in an early morning when i heard someone said "Chai Chai"..

Chai is Milk Tea, main drink there.

I like this one, amusing .. haha
Ale was hungry so he took a little bit of kebab which was from last night but doesn't smell good which made him sick later.

The weather was really nice in an early morning ... i got down on the fisrt floor. Most of them woke up already. It's very nice for the view outside the train .... but the happiness was not too long. At three stations before arrive Varanasi, many many many indian women came. They took a train to go to the market. But much more of them came to our cabin. I don't understand, these are private cabin for sleeping ticket but they came to sit around us, no seats available so some of them stood or sat in the middle of the train. Some went to my seat on second floor. Then one of them came to Ale and told him to leave coz they want our seats but an Indian guy next to us told them to leave us alone.

Housewifes the gang
... (I don't have a picture but ale has) You must see it, a cabin for only 6 persons became sixty!! Was so ... crowded indeed.

2 hours later we arrived! First thing first was smoking :D:D We're scared of taxi driver so we tried to keep quiet and made ourselves to be smaller as we could so that they couldn't find us ... haha. But when we looked for the way to get out, one indian guy came to us and showed us the way. At first i thought he's a nice person around but then he told us later that he is a tuk tuk driver who wanted to take us to wherever we want. Ahhh, he caught us finally!

The taxi drivers here always have a note to show people about how ex-tourists wrote to them .. to be confirm that they are nice, good person and can be trust .

Varanasi train station
.This guy too. Many people from different country wrote to him. When he knew Ale is Italian, he showed him what Italian people wrote about him. Too bad .. no Thai. I hoped to be the first to write but ... well, i didn't. His name is Kailash but he told us to call him Carlos, hehe. He's really nice ... after discussed for a while about where to go. He told us to bring us to 3 guesthouses for us to choose. We agreed.

From the train Station to the first guesthouse took almost 40 minutes. Traffic was quite the same in Calcutta. Mess but a lot of bicycles and motorcycles more than bus or car. So ... it seemed to be more quiet than the town we just left .. but we smelled a dust .. a lot! I took pictures along the way, didn't care if it's good or not just shot shot shot .

Colorful Varansi
We didn't speak at all, Ale was so tired, Me too. 14 hours on train sucked our energy ... almost all. Now we need a place to sleep!

Then Kailash took us to the first guesthouse. I let Ale checked it first. When he went away, Kailash tried to convinced me to let him take us touring around Varanasi. I'm not sure should i trust him. Still be panic from the guidebook about the cost and everything. And today we want to be more relaxed ... just thinking .. then Ale came out and he liked the place, said not too bad. I went to check. We agreed. So .. stayed here. Yogi Lodge, Kailash was surprised that how could we made a decision so easy. He told us why don't  check the second one? It'd be more comfortable than this coz has air-con ... I thought, if this one is not good, why did you take us here??? .

Yogi Lodge Guesthouse
... So we said we're tired and this place was not bad ... only 300 rupis per room with fan. He seemed a little bit disappointed. Don't know if i was too pessimistic!  Then he told us to pick up us at 5pm to go to Ganga and silk village, Ale agreed.

ok ... checked in. The room number is 113. Ahhhh ... again! ... Lucky lucky??? Then Ale seemed to be sick. He got a stomachache which i thought because of Kebab last night. He wanted to sleep and took some rest coz can't go out. I thought he'd be fine in a few hours later but nah.  So i let him sleep and for me, maybe better went out to walk around town a little bit.

newtampo says:
Thank you! And you're welcome! Are you going there? It's wow - incredible!!! :D
Posted on: May 08, 2009
tweedcouch says:
what a wonderfull story. Thank you for sharing : )
Posted on: May 02, 2009
:) Calcutta Train Station
:) Calcutta Train Station
At Culcatta train Station
At Culcatta train Station
Upset, cant smoke haha ..
Upset, can't smoke haha ..
:D
Advertising
Advertising
Photo shop
Photo shop
Hehe boys, what are you doing ther…
Hehe boys, what are you doing the…
Another Advertising Media!