Restaurants Galore

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Anybody want some Chinese?  Hey let’s go get some Thai food!  I think I’m in the mood for some Korean food.

Most Argentines probably have never heard anyone say these things before.  How come?  Why are there only a few restaurants of different ethnicities?  One has to hunt down a city guide in order to find a good Korean or Indian restaurant.  Most Argentines don’t eat food like this.  Drifting away from the traditional starchy foods is not a usual thing for the native population here, which is one reason why I’m glad I wasn’t born in Argentina.  These people don’t realize that they are missing out on a world of taste!

Some of our group has been testing out the different restaurants here in Buenos Aires.  I have personally only tried the following restaurants during my stay in Argentina:  Mexican, Indian & Korean.  To be honest with you, even these restaurants didn’t live up to their name in terms of spiciness.  The food was spicier than regular Argentine food, but my Indian taste buds were not impressed.  When I visited the Mexican restaurant, I had to ask for crushed peppers to heat up the salsa.  The Korean restaurant had just one vegetable dish which had some kick to it.  Even the Indian one offered less spices than usual.  I guess it’s just the culture here in Argentina to not make food hotter than what one’s stomach can handle.

What constitutes an Argentine’s usual diet?  The normal diet involves pizza, pasta and meat.  There’s no A1 sauce for the steaks, no peppers to pile up on the pizza, no Tabasco sauce, nada.  I never understood this lack of spice and the only conclusion I can come up with is that the drink in the Argentines’ meal provides the flavor of the meal.  The people here use the different wines they drink to add more flavor to the meal.  Every restaurant in the city of Buenos Aires, no matter what ethnicity, offers wine for customers to drink.  It is definitely a good money-making technique and adds the flavor needed to make the meal taste better.

We Americans are blessed to have everything free in our country.  If our steak is not soft enough, we ask for A1 sauce.  If the chicken needs something added to it, they add hot sauce/Tabasco sauce.  Whenever food needs to be spiced up or toned down, Americans have the means to do it right away.  It’s right at our fingertips.  Unfortunately Argentines aren’t as lucky.  They’ve gotten so used to the blandness that they would probably get stomach aches if they ate spicy food more than once in a while.

I didn’t get a chance to ask all the Argentines about eating out on a regular basis, but the ones I did ask said that they only go once in a while to eat at restaurants of different ethnicities and when they do, sometimes they really have to look hard to find a good one.  They don’t have the variety that we do back in the States.  I’m blessed to be able to have the option to choose between a variety of restaurants (no matter what the ethnicity) to dine at.  Traveling abroad to other countries helps me realize that there are others who don’t have the same luxury that I do and that I need to be more appreciative of what I have.  It’s hard though, because it’s only human nature to believe that the grass is always greener on the other side.