Yucatan Journey

Mexico Travel Blog

I decided to go along with my boyfriend to a Central American journey from south Florida to Colombia. While in Mexico being it the first time for both of us, we decided to explore the Yucatan Peninsula as free spirits. We started out trip on Motorcycle from Naples on a blustery January day. It took about five days before we hit the Laredo boarder. Through the journey of some freezing spells we finally made to Nuevo Leon at the heart on Monterrey. We had some minor set backs that forced us to leave the bike and head south to Mexico City, where we spent three days enjoy the city as well as the high altitude.

Then after took an hour flight to Cancun, took a bus down to our first stop, Playa del Carmen. We then striped off and headed out to explore 5th avenue (Quinto Avenida) the main street that runs parallel to the ocean. It's around 500 meters from the water. In between the water and 5th are hotels, Bed & Breakfasts, Inns, Rentals, Timeshares, and restaurants. It is commonly referred to as, "Playa del Carmen's Pedestrian Walkway".

Along 5th Avenue you will find numerous stores selling interesting items as well as restaurants and hotels. There are clothing stores selling the latest trends from Europe as well as Cuban Cigar and Rum stores. It is a vibrant atmosphere reminiscent of a carnival. We have seen a cavalcade of characters parading down 5th. Not forget the local vendors yelling to attract customers in different languages….

We also had fun exploring kite surfing in Xpu-Ha beach on the way to Tulum.  Our days were spent me learning to kite surf and watching my boyfriend have fun with the wind while making my silly faces. The beautiful Caribbean beckoned every so often to us to come in and take a dip. And if that day we were not lucky with wind, a tour was the best decision down to the Mayan culture. A ride to Chichen Itza Ruins, further south of Tulum (approximately/ $45 US) well worth it.

In the evenings we would have a plate of tacos before dinner from the local vendors then later on enjoy a nice restaurant meal.

we experienced A true Mexican culture and beautiful simplicity