Cultural Differences?

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

In class on Wednesday, we discussed a lot about the culture in Argentina, mainly concerning football and tango. One thing that we had a separate discussion on was the culture of tango in Argentina. Is it just for tourism? Does everyone love it? Is it coming back? Many ideas were thrown around- tango is just for tourism, tango isn’t really practiced by the locals, tango is acknowledged and admired by the locals. I really believe that tango is still practiced mainly for tourism, but that is because of culture. I definitely agree that many people love it. The dance and music is beautiful and the stories that come along with tango are entertaining. But culture has to be kept up and preserved. Every city has it’s own unique culture that sets it apart from others. Without this culture, we would all be the same! Who wants that? Therefore, tango cannot be lost or Buenos Aires won’t be Buenos Aires anymore.

Dillon and I had an interesting conversation about the similarity between Argentina and the United States. Look around- there are huge billboards, taxis, restaurants, laptops, stilettos, restaurants, etc. When you go into a café, it’s pretty much the same as going into a café in the United States. Granted, the food isn’t quite as good and the service is a bit different, but the feel is almost the same. You have comfy chairs, small delicacies to eat, and a television in the corner. There are small differences, but for the most part, being in Buenos Aires isn’t that different from being in Atlanta. Until you throw the culture in.

Argentina is known for it’s carne and coffee, tango and wine. If these things begin to falter, what will we be left with? A boring old city just like all the others. Same with all cities, they must retain, or regain, their culture. Don’t let it go!

I try to think about what sets Atlanta apart. I can come up with things like the Varsity, Underground Atlanta, Centennial Olympic Park, Coca-Cola, and CNN. You think about jazz and blues, famous black artists, and Buckhead. I’m very proud to say Atlanta is holding onto its culture. I am also very glad to say that Argentina is keeping theirs strong.

Underneath all of the big buildings and behind all the cell phones lies an extremely rich culture in Argentina’s people. They certainly aren’t “behind the times” but they still know “where they came from.” They take their time to enjoy their coffee. They kiss each other when they meet, no matter what. They love their family with all their heart. They will forever be loyal to Maradona, even if they were never alive during his glory days. They have beautiful plazas and parks to relax in and enjoy.

I hope Argentina never loses their culture! I hope tango becomes very popular again among the younger generations. I don’t even think I need to mention anything about football not dying down. Hay no problema aqui!