First day in Peru-LIMA

Lima Travel Blog

Miraflores area--Made me think of the hurricane in N.O. because looked like Jackson Sq.

We arrived in Lima around 11:00 PM and since we had just brought backpacks as carry-on we wasted no time and exchanged some money in the airport so we could pay the taxi-found the taxies recommend by GAP and took off to our hotel where we were to meet the rest of our group.

Got to the small but very nice hotel in the Miraflores section of Lima in about 45 min.  If had not been a set fee for the taxi I would have thought our driver (who was very nice and spoke English) was driving in circles to run up our fare.  I got completly lost as to what direction we were going but sure enough all of a sudden after one last turn we arrived at the hotel.

After checking in, we went directly to our room and turned on the TV, as we had heard about "Katrina" the hurricane that did so much damage to New Oreleans and a lot of the Gulf coast.

How terrible.

The next day we had breakfast in the hotel and then did some walking with another couple we met.  Saw some pretty gardens and went down to the Ocean.  Walking back to the motel we stopped in a small restaurant and had lunch then went back to the hotel for a meeting with our guide who gave us a summery of what to expect on the trip and discussed items some people may have not brought, best place to exchange money and gave us a chance to meet everone.

Our group included a total of 12 people-four guys and eight women.  Ann and I were the only Americans with two women from Australia, and the rest from England.  Ages were from the mid-20's up to me-65.  As we got to know everone, turned out do be a great group with everone getting along well.

Ocean view-Miraflores area
  Our guide was a young lady from Germany who had done this trip numerous times and did a great job.

The small bus arrived in early PM to take us to our first stop, Pisco, arriving in plenty of time for supper but not much else.  This is the town that was hit so bad by an earthquake this year.

I think the main reason for stopping in Pisco was to give us all time to sample Pisco sours which we all took advantage of at supper.  Ann even liked them .  This set a trend for the rest of the trip-Not all anyone had to drink but some were had most nights.  Second  reason for this stop was so we could take an excursion to the Ballestas Islands first thing in the next morning.

Miraflores  area--Made me think of…
Miraflores area--Made me think o…
Lima