From Akureyri to Seydisfjordur

Seidisfjoerdur Travel Blog

Approach to Seydisfjordur

Well, I just realized how much I skipped in Akureyri. I never mentioned the Christmas House, the smoked meat, the ice cream, or even the pools. Yes pools, in Iceland. Icelanders LOVE their pools. I believe its because they live on an island surrounded by water that they can't swim in. Regardless, their pools are amazing. The water is nice and warm, and they have a variety of "hot pots" ranging from 100 degrees to 106 degrees!

Anyways, after Akureyri, I made my way east towards Seydisfjordur. Since I don't have the appropriate keyboard I can't add all the special letters. But that doesn't matter.

After yesturdays drive, I didn't know what to expect.

Gufufoss, Seydisfjordur
More of the same? Or something drastically different... I think I got a little of both.

Leaving Akureyri it was the same old farms and hills with mountains. Not that thats a bad thing!

Next I passed through Myvatn. Its known for its geothermal activity. My only problem is the bugs. This might be the only place in Iceland that I noticed with bugs. They are like gnats. And as soon as you get out of your car the swarm you. Gross right? Needless to say I didn't stay long. Just enough to take photos.

As I moved passed Myvatn I started getting closer to Krafla and I could definately notice the increase in geothermal activity. On the sides of the roads you'd see vast pools colored blue and green and steaming. Even more interesting is the steam coming from the ground.

Seydisfjordur Blue Church
It looks like you are on another planet.

On the way to Seydisfjordur, I passed Krafla. Krafla is one giant volcanic area. The most popular sight in Krafla is Viti, one of the volcanic craters. The largest crater to be exact.

Also in this area is a giant geothermal power plant. Iceland is very big on being "green." And I must say that I'm impressed at how clean the country is. I didn't see any litter on the sides of the roads. Everything looked clean and natural. Beautiful.

As I moved away from Krafla, things started to become more and more remote. And theres something about seeing a sign that says "No gas for the next 300 KM" that gets a person wondering about the reliability of their automobile. I was driving an economy car that wasn't much bigger than myself. It was quite beautiful though. The grass turned black rock and dirt. While that doesn't sound so lively, it was quite beautiful.

So I drove and drove and drove... watching the fuel gauge... until finally I reached Seydisfjordur. This tiny little town is nestled at the east coast of Iceland. Whats more impressive are the numerous waterfalls leading towards the town. As you drive down the mountains you see a total of 25 waterfalls. Not a bad commute if you ask me!

Being only 800 people in the town, you can guess its not booming. But it was a beautiful little town. Too bad I didn't get to stay long. But like all their cities/towns it had a beautiful church as well!

Its hard to describe how great it felt to get out there and reconnect with God's beautiful creation.

Seydisfjordur
Vestdalur Hike Top View
Vestdalur Hike Top View
Vestdalur Hike Waterfalls
Vestdalur Hike Waterfalls
Vestdalur Hike Waterfalls (zoom)
Vestdalur Hike Waterfalls (zoom)
Vestdalur Hike Waterfalls (side)
Vestdalur Hike Waterfalls (side)
Vestdalur Hike Rapids
Vestdalur Hike Rapids
Vestdalur Hike Climb
Vestdalur Hike Climb
Vestdalur Hike View
Vestdalur Hike View
Icelandic Sheep
Icelandic Sheep
Vestdalur Hike Waterfall (side)
Vestdalur Hike Waterfall (side)
Vestdalur Hike Waterfall
Vestdalur Hike Waterfall
Seidisfjoerdur Hostels review
Seydisfjordur HI Hostel is the only hostel in Seydisfjordur. There is little to do in the town of Seydisfjordur. Most people passing through are here … read entire review
Seidisfjoerdur Sights & Attractions review
Iceland is not just Reykjavik and the Golden Circle. You need to travel the entire country to get a feel what Iceland is and all the beauty it provide… read entire review
Seidisfjoerdur