Hidden paradise for Surfers..

Nias Travel Blog

View to Moale Beach

Nias is famous for its waves for surfing. A lot of world champion surfers come to this place to take pleasure in surfing. Even though I’m not a surfer, luckily my pervious job at Medical Teams International (MTI) brought me to Nias. I was assigned to lead a capacity building training to the local staff at the Nias MTI Office. Once I arrived at the airport, I saw a lot of Caucasian guys roaming around with their big and long surfing boards!! I could tell the must be serious surfers. The well-known beach for surfing competition is Sorake and Lagundri Beach.

The venue of the training workshop I led was at Moale Beach. It is only one of the many beautiful beaches in Nias. The training was a fun learning process and everyone seemed to really enjoy the activities.

Besides Banda Aceh, Nias was also affected by the earthquake in 2005. One thing that I found was a lot of dead corals around the beach. This happened after the earthquake and tsunami since the water level is now lower than the corals on the beach. It made me so sad that this natural disaster not only destroyed human life but beautiful nature as well.

rintjez says:
Yeah, the island rised up a few meter. It was strange but it happened :(
Posted on: Nov 10, 2007
tj1777 says:
Strange with the water level - did the island rise up a few meter during the erath quake ?
Posted on: Nov 09, 2007