EuropeItalyRome

Walking Around Rome

Rome Travel Blog

Arc De Triumph

I was visiting Rome not for tourism purpose, but end up walking around for 5 hours looking, looking and keep looking. This city is full of tourists. One of the city in Italy where you can hear people speaking in lots of language (and not only Italian as what I've always experienced while living in my husband's farm).

Basically, doesn't matter from which part of Italy you come from (I meant...first landing), either airport or bus station, if you're planning to visit Rome and just have few hours, just take a train to Roma Termini station. This station is very unfriendly according to me. I was in desperate effort, trying to find toilet, and it was actually locked and you need to insert coin to open the door.

San Pietro Basilica, Vatican City
And there's a machine for changing your money to coins which doesn't work (doesn't accept notes....which bring me to confussion on what's the poin of having the machine over there). The cleaning lady advised me to go to the left luggage counter to get some changes but it was full of people lining up for their bags (the queue is about 500 m and I'm not exaggerating). So, i went upstair where the toilet is available for 60 cents euro but can be paid with cash.

Then, get a map, from one of this souvenir shops which is available inside and outside the station. Then decide which way you want to go first. The main attraction are the colosseum, the trevi fountain, the vatican city, the cathedral...hmmm...and plenty of museums if you really fancy art. I was just walking around on foot to visit everything on my first Rome visit.

Colosseum
But if you want to go for easy solution (which I did on the second trip), you can buy this one day ticket cost 4 euro which you can use for 24 hours on bus and underground. The ticket is available from the same souvenir shops where you got the map (if you bought one). Or take this open bus tour, where you can hop on and hop off. The bus stop right beside the Roma Termini station (200 meter...to the side of Muzeo Nazinale Romano), so you can get the ticket there for 18 euro. This open tour bus will make sure you pass by every single tourist attraction without getting lost (is a bit not possible to get lost, actually, the city is very well designed...something that my Italian husband is very proud of being Roman).

My trip was taking underground to the colosseoum first. Coming out from the underground station of "Colosseo" (easy, no?) the colosseum is exactly right in front door of the station.

Trevi Fountain
There's the big-amazing Colosseum and the "real" Arc de Triumph. My husband mentioned it specifically that Arc De Triumph in Rome is the original and the real one, where the soldiers coming back from war will entering Rome by passing through under the  "winning gate". Then i went back to the underground to go from "Colosseo" to "Barberini" station. Then I walked around 1 km from Barberini to the Trevi fountain. The fountain was fulled of people. If you plan to spend the night in Rome, the best time to visit this fountain is at night. It will be completely empty and you can sit there, relax and enjoying the water flowing from the fountain. Then i walked again to the Barberini station, but instead of taking the underground, Hard Rock Cafe attract my attention and I decided to stop there for some meals. Then i went back continuing my daylight wondering around, by taking underground from Barberini station to "Ottavio" and go to Vatican city, where you cannot get in unless you have certain permit (maybe something like visa). So you just stand in the front yard (should I call it yard or should I call it big plaza???).

If you are looking at the path of the underground, they will write every tourist main attraction, right beside the name of the station. That's why it's quite easy to find for non-Italian speaker. That's basically it. The museum visit I didn't wrote it here bec it was a lot and a little bit boring.

Rome