Leaving Warsaw

Warsaw Travel Blog

I’m in Warsaw’s Frederick Chopin Airport having a cup of coffee waiting for boarding time for my flight to Budapest.  The airport has a new terminal that has been built and ready for months, but still isn’t in use • some problem with fire regulations, I’ve heard, so I wait in the old terminal.  This new airport issue is a big political issue here at the moment.

The restaurant at the airport is like a “blast from the past” • an old-fashioned cafeteria where nothing looks too appetizing, some dishes look extremely un-appetizing, the paint on the walls is yellowed and the only decorations are dusty plastic plants and faded posters.

The coffee is good though, strong and hot, and the ladies working there are friendly.  If it wasn’t for the friendly people working here (at least the ones I ran across today), the whole experience would be reminiscent of a communist “bar mleczny”(“milk bar” which is another Poland experience that shouldn’t be missed)!

As always, going through security is a slow hassle…. Empty your pockets, take off your belt, take off your watch, take off your shoes…. Somehow the metal detector still goes off… being groped by a stern security guard….  The metal detector wand…  Eventually you make it through.  This is a real pain, and also happens to be a great opportunity to lose or misplace things.  I had to pull everything out of my back pack before finally having an emotional reunion with my watch, the one Olga gave me when I finished graduate school… I was sure I’d lost it in the confusion.

boxinbcn says:
I guess the worst I've ever been through was in New York!
Posted on: Nov 23, 2007
tvillingmarit says:
You should try the schanning at Schiphol, no beeping but...........
Posted on: Nov 22, 2007