Getting Drenched at Slide Rock, and More of Beautiful Sedona

Sedona Travel Blog

Slide Rock -- not the part you go down

After coming down from death mountain, I surprisingly had half the day left to get back to Phoenix in time for my flight. I decided to take the scenic route back, stopping by Slide Rock, a "natural waterslide" in Oak Creek Canyon.

Just outside of Flagstaff, some dude was selling elk and buffalo jerkey from out of his car. He had all sorts of flavors and was offering samples to people who would pull over. The jerkey was damn pricey ($11 for a pack), but I just had to get me some delicious sweet pepper elk.

Not far down the road is a vista point, where you can pull over and see Oak Creek Canyon, a deep rocky gorge lined with Ponderosa Pine. It's very pretty.

On the way to Red Rock Crossing
All along the vista, there are stands were local Native Americans sell handicrafts and souveniers like beads and pottery. There's really nothing you can't get on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, but at least the money won't go to some aging hippie. I did contemplate buying a giant bow and arrow set for a second, but really, it wouldn't go with my decor.

Fall in Oak Creek Canyon is really pretty. The windy highway is surrounded by brightly colored autumn leaves, and the happy creak runs nearby.

My next stop was Slide Rock, a really beautiful little spot. Right on the border of Oak Creek Canyon and Red Rock country, it has the best of both worlds -- the colorful autumn leaves that line Oak Creek Canyon, and the towering red rocks above. The big attraction is a section of the river with a some little rapids that have worn the rock riverbed completely smooth, making it a natural waterslide.

Loop Road
In the summer, it's a popular place to go -- all the families come out and picnic and the kids go in the water.  There's hiking trails nearby as well. In November, however, not too many people were out and absolutely no one was getting in the icy water.

Except me of course.

I couldn't resist the lure of going down the rapids, even though everyone else was looking at me like I was crazy. I gave my camera to a lady and down I went. It was actually really, really fun, if also really, really cold. The current just whooshes you down a bumpy little ride. The rocks are so slippery it's hard to get out of the creek after you've gone down the "waterslide" section. Unfortunately the lady couldn't figure out my camera so I got no pictures out of it.

It was getting late, but I figured I could squeeze in a driving tour of Sedona as well if I skipped lunch and dinner.

Sunset over Sedona
Good thing I got that elk jerkey.

I'm so glad I went back to Sedona, because it really is a gorgeous place. Loop Road takes you right by some amazing views of the red rocks shooting up from desert landscape. Red Rock Crossing, one of the most photgraphed places in the US, is just a short walk from the road. There, you can see regal Cathedral Rock reflected by the waters of Oak Creek, surrounded by lush fall colors.

Dusk came as I was heading out of Loop Road, illuminating the sky over the orange rocks bright pink. It was really pretty.

nik2blessed says:
you sure it was buffalo jerkey? lol, could of been anything - from his car, oooh wee
Posted on: Apr 07, 2011
reikunboy says:
a great blog very entertaining read it makes me want to take that trip
Posted on: Nov 29, 2007
CFD says:
Love your blogs mimi :) Makes me want to walk in your footsteps :)
Posted on: Nov 29, 2007
Slide Rock -- not the part you go …
Slide Rock -- not the part you go…
Loop Roak
The watereslide
The "watereslide"
Red Rock Crosssing
Red Rock Crosssing
Not sure what these are -- Theyre…
Not sure what these are -- They'r…
Most photographed spot in the US