Fresh Baby Alligators on the Tamiani Trail

Everglades Travel Blog

baby gators!
The sunday after our offsite, we rented another car and drove west along the Tamiani Trail. For a day trip, this was the most satisfying leg.

We took a nice walk in the Shark Valley area, where we saw pretty scenery and lots of birds, including the modelesque anhingas that like to fan out their wings in the heat, as if they were just posing for a picture.

But the total highlight of the trip was baby alligators!!! Well, in any case I figured they were baby alligators, cuz that's what they look like (see the pic?). Giant heads, adoooraable beady little eyes, tiny little scaly bodies. They were just cuddling in some grass at the side of the trail. You could see Mama swimming in the water next to the road. It was sooo cute. Part of me wanted to just scoop them up and take them home to my bathtub.

The other part of me wanted to eat some gator nuggets.
the lovely anhinga

Yah, I've realized I have this weird habit of eating animals that I find incredibly adorable immediately after cooing over baby versions of that animal when I travel.

We ordered a giant Everglades sampler plate of food at a Native American run tourist restaurant across the highway from the Shark Valley area. It was really greasy and not exceptionally tastey, but it was exactly what I wanted -- alligator nuggets, frogs legs, along with some regional/odd foods that you can't get anywhere else.

Next, we headed to further west, and took a drive through the Big Cypress area. It was really pretty, with lots more trees -- tall ones rising up from the water, their roots flooded.
ibis, big cypress area

Just off of US 41, the Big Cypress area offered a nice variation in scenery from the flat saw grass areas. It's full of wildlife too. We saw white ibises (ibi?), blue herons, anhingas and even 2 white tailed deer, jumping just alongside the road!

Last, we headed all the way to the gulf coast to the 10,000 islands area. Unfortunately, we didnt have enough time to explore, but I did get a chance to dip a toe into the Gulf of Mexico, and see some pelicans floating in the calm waters. Just FYI, the Gulf of Mexico felt kinda icky. It would have been nice to see some more of the area -- my tourbook touted ancient shell mounds and excellent kayaking.
birdy
some other bird
ibis
ibis
Everglades Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
I'm really into eating bizarre foods you can't get anywhere else, so my Everglades trip just had to include eating gator. Luckily, we found this great… read entire review
Everglades