Canoeing in the Everglades

Everglades Travel Blog

My company had our annual offsite in Miami, so I figured I'd fly in early, rent a car and take a tour of the everglades. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale in the early morning. The sunrise during descent was gorgeous. I took a few hours (can't exactly remember how long, but I want to say 3-4 hours) to get all the way down to Flamingo. Lots of birds flew overhead on the way down. My coworker drives like a maniac and we ended up with many a poor little butterfly and bug in the grill.

The weather was beautiful when we went. As October is the beginning of hurricane season, I was expecting rain and mosquitos, but the temprature was nice and cool the first day, only a little bit humid and rainy the last day, and I did not end up with one bite.

Canoeing in the Flamingo area

We rented a canoe and we canoeing in the canal.
water
It wasn't as cool as I was hoping as the bay and lakes were closed off due to winds. As it was the first time canoeing for all of us, it also took really long to get anywhere. It's a nice, relaxing way to spend an afternoon, but when you're short on time, not the most bang for your buck. If I lived there though, it would be an awesome activity to do on weekends.

The scenery tends to be rather monotonous on the canal, and we didn't get to go anywhere really cool (no mangrove canopies or anyrhing). Also, canoeing is a lot harder than it looks. We constantly kept running into the side of the canal, where we were told the alligators hang out. This caused a  lot of "ROW! NOT YOU! YOU ROW! YOU ROW BACKWARD!"

We did get to canoe by an alligator. It was super cute and just sat there sunbathing.
mslellen says:
Congrats on the feature! :D
nyprne says:
Fun review. Great for a feature. Happy travels.
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
Him congrats on being featured!
alligator
alligator
Ft. Lauderdale
Ft. Lauderdale
Everglades Sights & Attractions review
Rent a canoe from the Flamingo visitor center/ gift shop at the south tip of the park. I think it only cost about $20. Unfortunately, when I went, … read entire review
Everglades