AsiaChinaSuzhou

at the train station, then Suzhou!

Suzhou Travel Blog

At one of the many creeks

We decided we would go today to Suzhou so that we can buy our tickets to Hong kong while at the train station.  So in the morning we woke up from our hotel in Shanghai and then went to look for some breakfast.  We walked around some side streets a bit and finally ended up eating a few fried dumplings, a rolled up egg, meat, bread type of thing and a green icee.  Then we went back to our hotel to get our stuff and checked out.  We took the subway to the train station.

Buying our train tickets to Hong Kong turned out to be a bit tricky.  First I waited in one line for a long time but the lady at the desk said I had to go to a different line but I didn't know which one.

At another creek
  I got kinda frustrated trying to figure out what to do, so I made Steve try to ask someone.  He went and asked some Chinese students and they told him line 3 was a student line.  So he tried that but that turned out to be the wrong line as well.  Finally it turned out line 12 was the correct line.  I went to wait in line 12 and fortunately there was some very nice american people behind me who spoke fluent Chinese.  He helped me get the Hong Kong tickets to leave Shanghai on Sunday and arrive in Hong Kong on Monday.  The train ride takes 24 hours and ended up costing more than I thought it would.  We got the cheapest type of seats which the American guy thought we were crazy and wanted to get "bragging rights" for having gone on a 24 hour train ride in the lowest class of seats.
Big Shopping Street
  That made me nervous about the trip but of course Steve is fine with it :)

We also bought our train tickets to go to Suzhou right then.  The train to Suzhou would leave in a 1.5 hours so we went to get some lunch and Steve used his point at a random thing in the menu method to order.  We ended up with some weird thing ( we think it was meat) and i ordered some tomatoe and egg.  Then we got on the train to Suzhou which took about 1 hour.

We arrived in Suzhou in the late afternoon, and took a taxi to Suzhou University.  I figured we would stay in the same hotel we stayed in 2 years ago.  It is right in the middle of campus.  We checked in to our hotel which cost 180 Yuan (around $22).  Then we went to walk around.  We went down some streets with lots of shops and restaurants and eventually got to the main shopping area in Suzhou.

Big Shopping Street at night
  Here there is another pedestrian shopping strip.  We walked around awhile and then tried to find somewhere to eat dinner.  Eventually we decided to go back towards the hotel and eat at my favorite dumpling restaurant from where I was here before.  It was one place I really wanted to go back to, so we went and ordered 36 dumplings for dinner.

Also, Steve's been getting a little cold.  He had a sore throat a bit and has been coughing a lot.  I made him take some ColdEase that I brought so hopefully it will go away soon.

-Arum