The small town of Hoi An

Hoi An Travel Blog

One of the many identical tailor shops

We arrived by bus to Hoi An early in the morning, around 6:30am.  We got dropped off in town and walked around some to find a hotel.  We stopped at one and the rooms were nice but smelled funny, so we kept walking but there were no hotels in sight, so we walked back to the first one and got a room for $10.  Then we got ready for the day.  We left to get some breakfast and ate at an outside restaurant i think.

On our way to see the sites, we passed by a bunch of tailor shops.  Hoi An is famous for its hundreds of tailor shops all over the place, each one harrassing you to get a custom made skirt, jackets, suit, etc there.  I was intrigued and as we walked by I couldn't resist noticing what beautiful designs they had and attracted by the idea of a custom made jacket.

Crossing the bridge
  I stopped at one shop where I really liked the designs of the jackets.  They were different and you can choose what fabric you want and if you want to change anything on the design etc, since they will make it from scratch.  I was amazed when they told me they could make me a jacket in just one day.  If i ordered one, it would be ready for me this afternoon!  I couldn't believe it, being that I have sewn many clothes myself and know all about clothing construction, I was shocked they could make smthg as complicated as a nice jacket in one day.  Not only that, but they told me if I wanted they could make 2 or 10 in just one day! Well I was hooked,  I loved the design of some of the jackets and picked 2 I really liked.  Even though I studied as a fashion design major for 4 years, I had no clever changes of fabric or style to make to the jackets on display, I just wanted the exact same thing made for me because I liked it so much.
One of the 2 custom jackets
  (Good thing im not interested in doing fashion design anymore because my design skills couldn't think of any good changes or my own style).  So I ended up ordering 2 jackets made for $44 total for both.  I thought it was an excellent deal considering they are really nice, stylish jackets, made to fit me exactly.  One is wool and one is corduroy.  I know how much work it takes to make it too so maybe I felt more generous to pay since I appreciate all the hard work that goes in clothing construction.  Anyway, the girl at the store took my measurements and told me to come back at 4pm that day and they would be ready!  Steve thought I payed too much but I am still excited about my new jackets!

Then we went to see the sites in Hoi An.

Hotel room with custom clothes line
  However, we quickly found out that there was not much to do in the small town of Hoi An.  It is sort of like the St. Augustine of Vietnam.  Preserved as an old heritage town, small with some old buildings.  We didn;t like it much because there was hardly anything to do, and the buildings were not interesting.  We just walked around to waste time basically.  We tried to look into doing a cooking class but there was no good options.

Later we went back to our hotel and watched TV.  Then I went to pick up my jackets, one fit well but the other one was a little too big on the sides, so they would go back in and take more in on the sides to get a perfect fit!  I was to come back at 7pm to pick them up again.

In the evening we went to get dinner at a restaurant by the river.  Steve got a set menu of some local hoi an items.  Then we went back to pick up my jackets and they were a perfect fit!  afterwards there was not much more to do so we just went back to our hotel to watch some tv and then go to sleep.

-Arum

One of the many identical tailor s…
One of the many identical tailor …
Hoi An