seeing it all in Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

Central Market

We had a full day in Phnom Penh to explore the nearby sites.  We woke up and went to look for some breakfast.  Actually we walked around for a long time trying to find something local, but in the end we ate at an Indian restaurant that took forever to get the food.  We were the only ones eating there and I ordered some vegetable nan and Steve got a green spinachy-potato thing.  However, it took over an hour for the food to come out!  The guy at the restaurant apologized many times, he was the only one there so he had to cook all the food and it was taking awhile.  Finally we got it, and it was all very delicious and a lot of food, so it made up for the long wait.

National Museum

After our super long breakfast, we went to change hotel rooms again.  Since I thought the hotel room we stayed in the night before was too small and smelled funny.  So we walked around awhile and checked different hotels.  We ended up getting a really good hotel for the same price, $10.  It was a bit cleaner I think and the air conditioner worked well.

Then we walked down the riverfront towards the national museum.  We walked through the museum which had a bunch of old artifacts, statues, pottery, etc.  But it was not that interesting actually.  It was pretty small and poorly labeled, so we walked through it and saw everything and left.  Then we walked to a market inside a big building.  There were lots of jewelry, sunglasses, purses, clothes, etc for sale at this market.

Royal Palace (Coronation Hall)
  I bought a pair of sunglasses for $2.

On our way back towards the royal palace, we stopped to use the internet for awhile.  But the travbuddy website wasnt working so we couldnt do any updates.  Then we continued on to the royal palace.  When we got there we were buying our admission tickets, but I had to rent a T-shirt from them also, because the shirt I was wearing that day was sleeveless, and you have to wear sleeves and long pants to go into the royal palace area.  In the palace we looked at several beautiful buildings that were used for different purposes for the king's ceremonies.  Then we walked over to the other half of the palace which were temples and such.  The main attration was a temple housing an emerald bhuda statue and a bhuda statue with a bunch of diamonds in it.

View from hotel balcony of waterfront
  Actually the description sounded cooler than the actual statues, but it was still neat.

After the royal palace, we had pretty much seen all the main sites in Phnom Penh.  It was around 4pm, so we slowly walked back towards our hotel walking on the riverfront.  I was hungry, but Steve wanted to wait awhile to have dinner, so we went back to our hotel room and watched TV for an hour.  Then we went to get dinner.  I told Steve that he was in charge of finding a place to eat and order all the food for us, since usually I pick the restaurant.  We walked around for awhile and finally went to eat at a little outside place.  Steve was looking for a place where locals eat that would be cheap and not all touristy.  He ordered grilled squid and fried rice with kabi for dinner and it was very delicious.  After dinner, we went to get fruit shakes from a outside stand as we had done the night before.  The lady puts in all these crazy fruits with condensed milk and ice and blends it up.  The fruit shakes only cost about 36 cents each.  We enjoyed the shakes and then went back to the hotel.

Steve was complaining about his stomach feeling full of milkshake when we got back.  He wasn't feeling so well, and it only got worse.  He layed in bed and his stomach felt ill.  He slept some and I watched TV for awhile, Dr. Doolittle was on TV and then the movie, raising helen.  So I wantched those movies and steve was in and out of sleeping but not feeling well.  Eventually I went to bed as well.  But sometime in the middle of the night, Steve got up and threw up in the bathroom, but he felt a little better after that but was still sick the next day.

Royal Palace (Coronation Hall)
View from hotel balcony of waterfr…
View from hotel balcony of waterf…
Phnom Penh