Shopping with Aunt

Kimp'o Travel Blog

My cousins and us

We woke up and were taken to a restaurant for breakfast today.  Jihye and her parents (my Dad's friends) and us walked to a nearby restaurant from their home.  It was another sit on the floor place where you take off your shoes and sit on the floor at a table.  For breakfast we had a big stew with pork spine, i know it sounds a little strange but it is really tasty and the meat was really tender.  We also had some ice cream for dessert.

After breakfast we were waiting around for awhile because today my Aunt (on my Dad's side) wanted to see us again before we leave.  So today we would be meeting her at 1pm at a subway station.  So in the morning before we left to meet her, Steve and I tried to fit my backpack better and did some other things on the computer and such.

My Aunt and us
  Then we left around 12noon to meet my Aunt.  Jihye took us to the subway stop where we would meet her and it was another hand off.  We met up with my Aunt and her two children, my cousins.  The girl is the same age as my sister and the boy is 2 years younger than us.  We first went to eat lunch and picked a nearby restaurant.  My aunt ordered for us and as always we never know whats going to arrive on the table.  After a few minutes of waiting, the waitress arrives with a big pot of a huge octopus in boiling stew and the octopus is still moving!  Its squirming around a bit until the boiling water finally kills it off and it settles down and then we let it cook for awhile on the burner on the table.  After a few minutes its ready to be eaten and the waitress comes and cuts the octopus into smaller pieces for us to eat.
Huge octopus for lunch, still squirming a little
  I happen to really like octopus so I enjoyed it, although I've never eaten one quite so big or so alive a few minutes prior to eating.  After eatting the tentacles, we cut the head up into small pieces and black ink poured out of it.  The cousins and I refused to eat the black head but Steve, the international eatting superstar, had no problem.  It was really tender and good, Steve liked it ok but thought it was not that flavorful.  Of course Steve once again impresses everyone with his ability to eat a lot of anything.

After lunch, the boy cousin had to leave, but the girl cousin and my Aunt and we took the subway to a place to do some shopping.  My Aunt really wanted to buy me some clothes, even at lunch she looked at the shirt I was wearing and said "did you pick that out yourself?.

Lake
..because it looks like old-lady clothes."  Ofcourse it saddened me to hear this considering that in general I like to be fashionable and look nice, but ofcourse on this trip Steve made me bring the absolute minimal amount of clothes and Shavonne and Steve insisted I bring only non-cotton quick drying, athletic type clothes.  But I knew that in Korea all my relatives and friends would think I was dressed like a no-fashion-sense tomboy because of the clothes I brought on this trip.  So my Aunt insisted she buy me some nice looking clothes but I was opposed since I didn't really need anything, insisting that back home I really do have a huge wardrobe full of nice clothes.  So in the end i suggested that we buy some hairclips instead since I could use a few and so we picked out some cute ones.
Me in my new outfit with my cousin
  My Aunt said twice she wanted to buy some clothes for Steve but that was turned down.

Next we went to a nearby lake that was really nice to sit down at.  We sat and enjoyed the lake view for awhile.  When it was time to get up, I started to sit up from the concrete block we were sitting on, and felt something sticky on my bottom.  I had sat right in some gum!!  It was totally gross and it was really stuck and very obvious and we couldn't get it out...so of course my Aunt now insisted again, we have to go buy me a new skirt or smthg right now to change into!  So while trying to cover up my rear and having Steve walk behind me so no one would see the horrible stain on my butt, we walked quickly back to the store.  They picked out a few short jean skirts they thought would look good on me, but I thought they were too short.  Eventually we settled on this navy blue skirt and striped top which I thought made me look like a sailor or smthg, but oh well, at least it was something new to wear.  My Aunt felt much better that she could buy me some nice clothes and she and my cousin exclaimed about how much better I looked once I got out of those baggy, athletic clothes.

After that we took some more pictures and then went to burger king for a small dinner since I was not hungry, Steve ate his burger and most of my chicken sandwhich.  Then we went back on the subway to meet my dad's friends family once again for the hand off.  My Aunt and cousin said goodbye and handed us off to Jihye's mom and she drove us back home.

At home we repacked our backpacks and stuff, and then around 9pm had yet another dinner with this family.  It was spicy rice cakes (dup-book-ee) and other stuff.  Then after dinner, we watched one of the korean DVDs I had bought a few days before.  We watched one set in the olden times, like in the 1500s in Korea.  But actually we thought the movie was really weird although it was a number one hit in Korea.

-Arum

angzimmy1 says:
awww, Arum, you would look good in an inner tube. Glad you all are enjoying the food--it makes me hungry. I love spicy rice cakes (of course you make it less spicy)! You both are doing a great job on updating this site... :)

Ang
Posted on: Jun 30, 2006
My Aunt and us
Huge octopus for lunch, still squi…
Huge octopus for lunch, still squ…
Kimp'o