Running to Buses and 7 Hours in Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

View from skybridge (see shadow of towers and skybridge)
8:00!!!  We woke up when I happened to glance at my watch and it said 8:00, the time our bus was supposed to leave the forest for Jerantut.  Frantically we got out of bed, packed all of our stuff up, and started to run to the spot we were supposed to meet the bus at 7:50.  We left our room at 8:05 and were told at the meeting place that they had a big bus today so we had to go to some other place in town.  After running around the town and Arum getting lost, I spotted the bus around 8:10.  Everyone was waiting for us but it wasn't entirely our fault since we were told to meet somewhere else anyway.  The whole thing was a little more excitement than I like to have immediately after opening my eyes.
Arum on the skybridge

The bus took 1.5 hours to get back to Jerantut where we stayed the night before.  We got back at 9:30, and I went to find the bus station in the town to buy the next tickets to Kuala Lumpur.  I got some bad directions so only found it after walking a long way around.  I bought the nunrefundable bus tickets at 9:45 and the first bus left at 10:00 so I had 15 minutes to go back to Arum and then return with our luggage.  It might have been an 8 minute walk to the bus station so it wouldn't be a problem if I ran back.  Well, the problem was that as I was running back (trying to go directly back instead of the long way I came) I got completely lost and turned around.
Skybridge
  The town was pretty tiny so I would see a road that looked like it might be something, run down it, then find out it goes nowhere at all.  Eventually I asked some random guy and after a little bit he told me how to get back.  I ran back to Arum at 9:56 and we both began running with our bags to the bus station.  Running directly back to the bus station we got there at 10:02 and luckily it was still there.  About a minute after we got on, it pulled away.

We took that bus for about an hour to some other small town to transfer to Kuala Lumpur.  We had about 2 hours at the town so we looked for lunch.  We were stuck with another one of those places that keeps the food sitting out all the time and all they had to eat were the rice dishes anyway.
3 Tall Towers
  After lunch, we went to an internet cafe for an hour to update the blog.  Then it was time to get back on the next bus but this time we didn't need to run.

The bus to Kuala Lumpur took 2 hours and we got there at 3pm.  The highways were like in the US, which was a big change from what we have been traveling on before.  We could see the Petronas Towers (2 tallest buildings in the world) as soon as we were near the city, which was exciting.  We went to a nearby subway station and took it to Little India, a neighborhood of Indians (like Chinatowns).  We found an internet place to check how the flights looked to see if we should leave Kuala Lumpur tonight or tommorow night.  It turned out that it would be better if we could leave Kuala Lumpur tonight so we had to hurry and try to do everything we wanted very quickly.
Mall at the base of the towers

When figuring out what to do, we realized that visitation of the Petronas Towers closes at 4:45 and it was 4:20 so our goal was to hurry up and try to make it.  We quickly jumped on the subway and went towards the towers, which were right next to the stop.  We only had a couple minutes before they were supposed to close.  After waiting in the wrong line, we found out the area you are supposed to go but they had a bunch of signs up saying they had given out all the tickets for the day.  It is free to go up the towers but apparently they hand out time tickets in the morning and when they run out you are out of luck.  Obviously, we were probably hours late to get the tickets, what a bummer.  We went to ask one of the workers if there was anything else we could do and he told us they had a couple cancellation tickets so we could go up right away!  Apparently some people didn't show up for the last trip of the day.
Petronas Towers
  We caught the last minute of some intro video and then were in the elevator on the way up.  Visitors go to the observation bridge halfway up the building on the 41st floor that goes between the two towers.  We were allowed 10 minutes on the bridge and it was an incredible view with the tower still going twice as high as we were.

We went down the towers and walked through a huge adjacent mall to go to a park to view the towers.  After going into the mall for a little bit we went to view the towers from the other side and then got back on the subway.  The towers really are the main attraction in Kuala Lumpur and then it is just the Chinatown and Little India neighborhoods.  We took the subwy to the main train station to buy our tickets to Singapore for the night ($5.25 each).  After picking up the tickets, we went to Chinatown to look at the markets and try to buy some items.  We had not been buying too many souvenirs during the trip so we wouldn't have to carry it for so long.  Arum was disapointed with the first market since it was just a bunch of rip-off products (purses, watches, dvds, etc).  Then, we went nearby to the Central Market where I sat with our bags (that we carried the whole day) while Arum went shopping.  Eventually she came back all upset because the prices were high and we only had about $12 to spend anyway.  After going to shop again and then returning even more upset, we walked to an Indian restaurant for dinner.  I told Arum she could go back to the first market area to spend the remaining $9 but would have only 15 minutes total since we had to catch our train.  At 9:25 she came back and we hurried up to go to 7-11 to buy some water (and a lollipop with our last coins).  We took the subway to the train station and then finally got on our long-distance bus at 9:45 with 15 minutes to spare this time.

The overnight train was pretty nice but they never turned the lights off and people were constantly walking up and down the aisle, which makes it harder to sleep.  The train took much longer than a bus since it stopped so often but it was better since it took all night instead of us arriving in the early morning.

-Steve
View from skybridge (see shadow of…
View from skybridge (see shadow o…