Hair Day!

Seoul Travel Blog

Before straightening

My Aunt (on my mom's side, first Aunt we met while in Korea), wanted to see us again before we left, so she called my Dad's friends house this morning to ask when she could see us again.  Today turned out to be the best day so we left to go to my Aunt's house again.  Also another reason my Aunt wanted to see me again is because she found out from my mom that I wanted to get my hair straightened while in Asia.  Originally I planned to get it done in China where I did it 2 years ago because it is much cheaper than in America.  But when my Aunt found out that I wanted to get it done, she really wanted to pay for it to be done here because she thought it would be better quality.  So my Dad's friends daughter took us on a bus which we rode for about 40 minutes, and then transferred to another bus where she left us to go back home and we rode this second bus for another 40 minutes or so, and then my Aunt was waiting at the bus stop where we got off.

Hair straightening process

We went straight to the hair salon after we met up with my Aunt.  I felt bad for Steve because I knew he would be bored today because this hair process takes about 3-4 hours.  We waited at the salon for a bit and then the process started.  The hair lady kept complaining to my Aunt that my hair was too long and too thick, the thickest hair she has ever seen, and wanted to cut a lot of it off because otherwise the process might take over 5 hours.  I was opposed since I've been growing my hair out for awhile, so I told her to just cut it a little bit, but instead she ended up cutting a lot off which I was worried about.  The next step was to put all this gooey stuff all over my hair and then wrap it in some plastic wrap and put it under heat for about 15 minutes.

After
  After that she washed the gooey stuff out and dried it a bit and then took a few strands at a time to straighten with a straightener.  This process took the longest.

While all this was going on, Steve was reading a magazine for awhile.  Then once my cousin got home from school (he is in 6th grade), he came and picked Steve up.  My cousin, Aunt, and Steve went to eat a late lunch while I was getting my hair done.  They had kim-bop for lunch and a cheese and ham sandwhich.  My aunt also brought me food to eat while I was sitting in the hair salon getting my hair done.  After lunch, Steve and cousin went back to my Aunts house and Steve used the computer for awhile.  My cousin wanted to play soccer with Steve, but Steve didn't understand what he was saying at first.

After
  But after awhile he figured it out, and they both went to play soccer at a nearby park.

After my hair was all straightened with a straightener, she sprayed some more goop on it and then let it sit for awhile.  Then she washed my hair again and dried it with a blowdryer.  After all that my hair was finally done, about 3 hours from when we started.  In the end I still thought they cut it too short so was not very happy about it, but the process is very expensive as well and I felt bad for my Aunt who paid for it but could tell I did not like it very much.  Oh well, I think it will grow on me, and it will grow out and then I will probably like it better.

After my hair was done my aunt and I came home and Steve and my cousin were still playing soccer.

Steve and Arum at Aunt's house
  They came home shortly because it started to rain a little bit.  We sat around for awhile and used the computer and watched TV.  Then we had a dinner of bul-go-gi (beef) and lettuce and kimchi.  After dinner we tried to catch the bus back to my Dad's friends house, but it turned out that we missed the last bus and so ended up sleeping at my Aunt's house.  On my way back from the bus stop we bought some dup-book-ee (korean rice cakes in spicy sauce) and ate it at home before going to bed.

Steve and Arum at Aunts house
Steve and Arum at Aunt's house
Typical row of plant shops and a l…
Typical row of plant shops and a …
Seoul