Church, Chicken, Mountain, and BBQ

Kimp'o Travel Blog

Chicken for lunch
Today we woke up and had a breakfast of some mix of stuff (rice, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and who knows what else).  The breakfasts here could be served for lunch or dinner, they usually are just as big and have the same kind of items, so it is like having 3 dinners each day.  Around 11 we went to church, which Arum and I understood absolutely none of it.  Not a very exciting hour.  It was interesting when the pastor would randomly say Halleluhah randomly while speaking Korean.  There also was a part where everyone including the pastor started verbally praying loudly and very fast.  It was intense.

The family we were staying with suggested we go get some pizza after church but we said we want to have Korean while we are here.  We all drove to the center of Seoul for lunch.
Stream through the middle of Seoul
 We walked down this little walkway lined with grills with a lot of fish.  We went to a big restaurant famous for this one dish.  You get a big pot with some whole chickens and water and cook it with a stove on your table.  You make a sauce out of red peppers, kim chi juice, and some mustard to eat the chicken in.  So this meal was not my favorite.  First off, holding the chicken with the chopsticks and getting the meat off the bone is beyond my ability.  I gave up on using the chop sticks or spoon and resorted to just picking it up with my hands like a barbarian.  This made my hands all nasty from the sauce.  The other part that was uncomfortable was that it was really hot in the restaurant from the stoves on all of the tables smashed in there.
Parade down tourist street
 I was sitting next to the stove so when I would eat it was like putting my face on the burner, which was combined with my heat from the spicy food.

When we got out of that hot box, the parents took the car back and we walked around with the girl.  We went to a stream with walkways along it that went through a big shopping area of the city.  Once we were done walking there, we went to a touristy street with a bunch of souvenir shops and food vendors, etc.  There were so many foreigners there that I didn't even stick out.  We saw a parade and parts of some performances that happen every Sunday.  We got some candy that had 16,000 stands of honey and was made while we listened to the show/sales pitch describing it in English.

Once we were done walking around there, we took a taxi to the bottom of a big mountain in the middle of Seoul.
Cable car up mountain to the observation tower
 After waiting in line and buying our cable car tickets, our host told us that she was afraid of heights and would wait for us to come down.  She also said the view is really good at night so we should spend 2 or 3 hours to wait until it gets dark while she waited at the bottom.  How boring.  We took the cable car up and the view was really good.  We didn't go up the observation tower on the top of the mountain but could see most of the way around without it.

Once we came down from the mountain, we took a taxi to a street that had a lot of nightlife and neon signs everywhere.  We went to a Korean barbeque where you cook the meat on the grill in the middle of your table.  It was very delicious!  We had 2 orders of ribs and some pork that you put melted cheese on.
View of Seoul from top of mountain
 Like with every Korean meal, there were a ton of traditional side items including a couple soups.  To make sure we didn't waste a lot of food, I had to make up for all of the girls' slack.

We took the train and a bus back to the apartment.  I tried to watch some of the England-Ecuador match at midnight but was too tired.  I think I fell asleep sitting there and when I woke up I could tell the score was 1-0 but since it was in Korean couldn't tell who was winning or what half it was so I decided to go to bed.

Steve
Parade down tourist street
Cable car up mountain to the obser…
Cable car up mountain to the obse…
Korean BBQ