24 Hour Train to Hong Kong

Kowloon Travel Blog

Seaweed Snack
We got up on July 9th and checked-out of our big room at the hotel on the pedestrian street in Shanghai.  Our 'international' train to Hong Kong left at 12:21pm so we had to be there an hour and a half beforehand.  I was up most of the night watching Germany win 3rd place in World Cup, which was exciting.  We took the metro up to the main train station and walked around to find food.  We got some buns filled with meat at some little bakery and sat outside at a market watching the previous night's soccer match on some outside tv's.  Then, we went to the train station and went through immigration and security, etc.  The waiting room for our train was packed but we got the last 2 seats so we were lucky.

We got on the train and every car was a sleeper and in each compartment there were 6 beds with 3 stacked on top of each other on both sides of the aisle.
Cup of Noodles
  We had the cheaper beds so we were on the very top which was like 8 feet off the ground.  It was a little bit of a challenge trying to get in and out of bed.  One nice thing was that there was a big luggage compartment above the train walkway that we could put our stuff since we were so high up.  The bad part was that there was not enough clearance to actually sit-up in bed.  I thought the whole ride was pretty comfortable and didn't really mind the 24 hours.  Arum took a nap right away and I spent the time reading our travel information about Hong Kong.  We both had a cup of noodles and played some cards before going to bed early.

I slept soundly the whole time but apparently Arum was pretty sick all night long.
Sleeping
  She woke-up around 1:30am feeling completely nausious and tried to avoid throwing up until around 5:30am when she went back to sleep for a couple hours.  Then, was miserable for the rest of the train ride.  She blames it on some crazy little food that was offered to us by people on the bottom bunk.

We got into Hong Kong around 1pm on July 10th and went through immigration and customs.  We took the subway to a hostel we found on the internet.  After walking around the main street, then in some goofy little mall, we finally found the side elevator that goes to the hostels.  We checked at 2 on the 7th floor but they were full and finally went to one on the 10th floor.  I had to go get money from the atm to pay $35 for the room though.
3 Bunks High

We went to dinner and Arum had spaghetti and I had goose and port.  Then, we went to a bird garden, which was really a market with a ton of birds in cages waiting to be sold.  I thought it was neat but Arum didn't really like all the birds.  We went through several malls and went through an outdoor Lady's market on the way back.  Most of the stuff in the market was all the same and cheap rip-offs.  Arum was looking for some bags for her mom and grandma but didn't like any.  Finally we went back to our room and watched some tv that was in English for the first time and some crazy Japanese show with subtitles.

Steve