A guide shows us the surroundings of Mae Hong Son.

Mae Hong Son Travel Blog

Landscape of Northern Thailand.

This morning we were picked up at 8.30 by our tour guide. We (the 4 of us) toke place in the pickup car and drove out of Mae Hong Son into the beautifull countryside of northern Thailand. We drove for 20 minutes wenn we did our first stop to see some remains of the railway that was build just after WWII by locals for illigal Opium transport between Burma and Thailand.

We went further to the longneck village near the border with Burma. Next to the village was a asylum seeker camp for people from Burma and china. There seems to be over 60.000 people who live in that camp in huts and cann't get into Thailand. We were not allowed to take any photo's of it and soldiers at the gate were watching us as we walked by.

Longneck Karen woman.
I think it's a strange idea, that those people were escaped for their own savety or political ideas and now living in a camp that has the resemble of a military war camp. And there I was, the tourist from the netherlands, a land they never heard of, taking photo's of everything that I see and buying tourists stuff from the longnecks, that I never use at home. I don't feel comfortable about this place. The village of the longnecks is really a touristic thing, with stalls were you can buy all kinds off longneck stuff made in china. Okay I made some photo's of it because I have seen them, but this is such a commercial place. They are the thai who can speak different languages fauthless. It is low season, so half off the woman are working in the cities of having their day off. They nomaly wear the same clothes as us, I have seen it now.
Longneck Karen. 2 sisters.
And as they saw us they vanies into their houses, becauce it's bad for bussines to see them like that. It's so double here and we just all want to leave this place. Our guide told us that she is feeling the same thing about this, but tourists are coming to this area to see longnecks. Then she smiled.

We drive away from the longnecks and go to one of the big waterfalls in the area. It's the Pha Seau Waterfall.  On the way to the waterfall we made different stops to see the scenery. It's so nice here. Our guide told us all kind off things about survivaling here in the wild. How you can make shelthers with bamboo and palm leaves, to how you can make a packet for rice and how you can cook and eat it. Great!! Just love to hear this kind of things. She also told us about her own village.

Pha Seau waterfall.
She is also from the Karen tribe. Her arms are full with tattoo's who all are family and village symbols.

The waterfall was nice. You cann't swim in it, because the current is to dangarous and there are many rocks under the surface. But it's refreshing to feel the coolness of the water. Again she tells us all kind off things about the flora and fauna what is to see near the waterfall. Even small kinds of orchid's who are growing there in the wild. After a long stay near the waterfall, we went back to the car. She drove us to a very small town, where her friend lives and has a small restaurant. We went there for lunch. Our guide was tegether with her friend preparing our lunch. It tasted wunderfull. We even got some sticky rice with it. Yummie!!

After the great lunch we went further to the Fishcave.

Having lunch in a small village.
What can I write about that. Yes, again some commercial tourists attraction. Not my thing. Bus loads of tourists come here to feed the carp fish who are trying to swim in to the cave. For the thai it's a holy place, even with some buddha statue's, but I've seen enough. The 2 canadians girls seems to enjoy the fish feeding, so we waited for them before we got back to Mae Hong Son.

Arround 4.30 in the afternoon we got back at the guesthouse. We talked a bit more with our guide and the owner of the guesthouse about the area. I personaly think, this is the most beautifull area of Thailand. The scenery is magnificent. The owner of the guesthouse thinks about it the same way. That's why he stayed in Mae Hong Son and didn't went back to England.  After a e-mail update towards home, we went into town. We had a nice foot massage. We bought some cookies and snacks and went back to the guesthouse. We thinking about leaving tomorrow, back to Chiang Mai.

Longneck Karen village.
Longneck Karen village.
Longneck Karen school.
Longneck Karen school.
Roast dinner.(still alive)
Roast dinner.(still alive)
Longneck Karen woman weaving.
Longneck Karen woman weaving.
Our tour guide.