Today we went rafting.

Pang Ma Pha (Soppong) Travel Blog

We went rafting.

This morning we were picked up at 8.30 am by a small taxibus. There were already 2 guys inside the taxi. It were 2 Israelish from Jaruzalem. They were together with us the only ones for the rafting trip. We started talking and soon we found out that they did some rafting before. I told them that it was our first time and that we didn't know what to expect. I told them that we saw some brocures about rafting in Chiang Mai, those brocures with the bamboo rafts. They started to laugh and told us that we were really going to raft, with a rubber boat and paddle. I asked them if they were sure about it and they started even to laugh harder and said YES!!! Shit, it's not a joke. That's not what I was expecting. The cartrip toke about 45 minutes before we arrived at the starting point of our raft safari.

We went rafting together with 2 Israely
 But first we got a brief instruction, it was more a drill briefing, about what to do when you fall in the water and how to paddle. About the falling in the water briefing, I felt myself becoming very scared about this trip. The instructor said, if you fall in the water, always protect you arms and head, althrough you wear a safety helmet. Try to keep yourself away from rocks by pushing yourself from a rock with your legs. If you do that with your arms, you're likely break them. And it's harder to break your arm then a leg. Because you need your arms more then your legs. And try to keep your head above the water, or else you're  probable drown! And finally, enjoy the 32 KM trip on the raft!

Excuse me!!! Is this a fun trip or are we going to die on this trip.

Monkey.
I was feeling like going home and forgetting about this, but the 2 guides aka captains, were convinsing me to step in to the boat and just relax. As I was the only woman on board, I had to prove that I wasn't a girly girl, so I pushed myself to the limites. The water was quit calm. Okay there was a stream, but it was fine. I became to fell more convidenced about this day. Sometimes the captain gave orders to paddle as hard as we could, but it all felt good.  The sun was breaking through and it became even very warm. So, wenn some water came in the boat it felt refreshing. After a few hours of paddling and with some short stops, like near a big waterfall, we came at the place in the middle of the forest, to have a lunch. We all had to help to make the the food ready. It was great to do that. Their were some monkeys watching us from a distance.
Floating in the river.

When we finished our lunch, we went back to the boat. The captain said that it was time for the real adventures part of the trip. So we had to be prepared. 50 Metres later we were like ryding in a rollercoaster! Going from one side to the other. I was nervous at first, but now I had the time of my life. Screaming of joy! It gives you such a KICK! My arms were beginning to get red of the sun and water, but I didn't care. At some points, we were allowed to go and lay in the river. Laying on your back, in a river that is streaming quit hard now.

At a certain point, we came near a rock that is halfways above the river. It was about 8 metres high. Our guide said that was going to jump of it and the 2 Israelish said that they wanted to try it aswell.

Lisu family living in the jungle.
Before I even heard myself, I said ; I'll go!! Oh dear! Climbing up wasn't a problem. The problem was coming down. The others had already jumped, so it was my turn now. The captain had told me not to look down and just looking forward and then take a step forward, like stepping of a boat when you go diving. I did that before, so it had to be no problem. Stupid me, sometimes I'm really BLOND, when I came at the point were I had to jump, I looked down. I felt my knees shaking. I heard myself saying in the back of my mind; YOU WITH YOUR BIG MOUTH!! Behind me the captain said, I will count to 3 for you, so on the count of 3 you can jump. Then I said, no way anybody can count that long before I'll jump!  I said to him, just let me alone for a moment and than I will jump.
Floating in the river.
He started to laugh, and said okay. Again I looked down and I felt my knees again. It's such a high peak when you're standing there, knowing you have to jump of it. But as I thought I walked back, I felt like being pushed by myself and I jumped. It was like falling down and there was no ending. I just kept falling down. As I hit the water, went down very deep and finally came up again, I started to swim towards the boat, screaming like a maniac that I did it, I jumped! It was great, I even got back and did it again!

After that we went further. About 3KM before we finised, it started to get dark and it started to rain. Rain drops were falling down on us, as we kept on paddling towards the end. By the time we got at the end, we were all soacking wet. It kept on raining.

I did it!!
It was a real tropical thunderstorm. I was glad that I came out of the water on time with those lightnings and could go and sit in the taxibus. on the way home it finally started to get dry, and by the time we got at the guesthouse, it was dry. The owner was already waiting for us, she had made dinner already. So we run back to our room, toke a qiuck shower got dressed and went back to the restaurant for dinner. The green curry tasted great. And she made rice with pinnapple. Yummie! After a nice dessert, we toke some coffee and chatted for a few more hours, with the staff of the guesthouse.

We had such a great day. It was a lot af fun. We didn't break anything. We both got blisters on our hands and we got sunburned, but it was woth it.

Devika1985 says:
ik vind die aap foto nog steeds meesterlijk
Posted on: Feb 05, 2008
Devika1985 says:
hihihi luuuuuv the monkey :)
Posted on: Jan 20, 2008
We went rafting.
We went rafting together with 2 Is…
We went rafting together with 2 I…
Pang Ma Pha (Soppong) Hostels review
The Soppong River Inn Guesthouse has only 6 rooms. All are different and they are set around the gardens and deck, so you can always be assured of qui… read entire review
Pang Ma Pha (Soppong)