Yangshuo China Moon Caves

Yangshuo Travel Blog

It was dark when we pulled into Yangshuo and really couldn’t see the landscape that drew us to the area. We had figured this would be the relaxing part of our trip. We had checked into the Li River Retreat which we researched on the internet. It seemed to be everything everyone said on-line. I got up early and went outside to get a cup of coffee. It was very peaceful and there was not much activity on the River. The town was about a mile down the road. The tall jutting mountains made the views very picturesque. There is also a picture of “Flower” in the lobby the one who checked us in at 2:00 AM and seemed to work around the clock. She was very helpful during our stay. I would recommend the Li River Retreat to anyone wanting to stay in this part of Southern China.

After a lazy morning, we wanted to check out the caves. It seems the area is littered with caves. The bigger ones have tours through them. We picked a cave called Moon Water Caves. You have to take a canoe into a small opening on the water into the side of the cave.  The cave we went into was only open in 2003.  It was cool inside (although I seemed to be the only one sweating still with the hard hat on my head). The cave went back about a mile and a half. In the middle of the cave was a mud bath. Neither MH nor I wanted to go into the mud. We left that to the other wild traveler.

After the caves, we decided to walk back towards the Li River. It was about a 2 mile walk to the area where they have raft rides. Unfortunately when we got there, no rafts were available. Instead we took an unauthorized taxi back to the road to the retreat. We had scheduled for a ride and tickets to an outdoor light and sound show that started at 9:00 PM. It was a very good show. They have over 500 actors using props and lights on water and on the sides of the mountain. Very impressive! The guy who created the shows is the same one who will put on the opening ceremonies at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. The only real drag was the millions of bugs.
photo by: sylviandavid