AsiaChinaXi'an

Xian China Terra Cotta Warriors

Xi'an Travel Blog

Today was going to be a big day in Xian. We decided to go down town and checkout a few of the sights.  Xian has an old city part that is completely walled in. This is where most of the historical areas are. We first went to the main square and checked out both the bell tower and drum tower.

We got a taxi from down town Xian to the Terra Cotta Warriors. Unfortunately we got a taxi with an older Chinese man who indicated he knew where it was but stopped along the way a couple of times asking directions. Oh brother! It reminded MH and I of being on the Amazing Race reality show and getting a bad taxi driver. (TIP: look for the younger taxi drivers - they typically didn’t smoke in the long car rides and knew where they were going).

We finally made it to the Terra Cotta Warriors compound. There are 5 different buildings and typically you go in order. The first building really has nothing but some explanations and ground breaking pictures. The warriors were found in 1974  when local farmers were digging a well and pottery was found. So far they have dug up and pieced together more than 6,000 of them.

After the great trip to see the Warriors, we went back down town. We shopped on a little street near the Drum Tower. Shopping there was cheaper than most places we had been to. At about 8:30PM, many of the locals came out and filled the streets to eat dinner. Based on a recommendation, we ate at a small restaurant that was cooking food outside the front window. We had the best braised chicken meal (turns out the best meal of our trip). They served us a bowl of food that could have fed my family of 5 but somehow we managed to pile it all in.

By the time we got back to the hotel it was about 10:30PM. We read in the room that full back massages at the hotel were 88 yuan ($11.20). We both scheduled one. I got an older lady and MH got a young girl.  After we were done, MH said her massage sucked and I thought mine was marginal. I guess you get what you pay for.

Xi'an