AsiaChinaChengdu

Xian to Chengdu China

Chengdu Travel Blog

The next morning we got up and walked around the central park that was near our hotel. There is a large pagoda in the middle of the park, and as normal, there were many people doing Tai Chi and other exercises.  There was even a group of salsa dancers doing their thing.

We made it too the airport on time.  At most of the airports in China there is typically a person who will direct you to the right ticket counter. This time in Xian, I asked a girl in a blue top and sash what counter. She said counter 32. While standing there, a man in a similar blue shirt walks up and asks me what flight we had. I told him and he said “you are at the wrong counter, you need to go to gate at end near 44, follow me”. I said no the lady verified this counter already and he walked away. I saw him walking around looking for someone else to sucker in I’m sure. Damn cheats are everywhere in mainland China.

We made it to Chengdu Airport. It was one of the cleanest airports we landed in so far. Of course there was a mob of taxi cheats waiting for us again. We ignored them all and went straight to the real taxi line.  We were excited and had high hopes for the Sheraton Chengdu Lido since it was the highest cost hotel we had and rated 5 stars.  We were not disappointed when we arrived. It was very nice and there was a stadium right outside our window.

The hotel was great but the smog was chokingly thick. In one of the pictures below, there is a shot out of our window of the city. That is not fog in the sky, it is thick smog. MH commented that it proves LA is doing very good with smog control compared to China. I agree.

After we checked in, we asked where we could find a place to rent a car for the day to drive out to Le Shan to see the Big Buddha. The bell hop told us to go upstairs to a travel agent office. After got there, we learned that it would cost us 1,800 yuan ($230.00)!  That was crazy!  She also said if we wanted to take the bus instead, we would have to stay the night in Le Shan. No Way! We decided to leave that office and work out something with a taxi instead. Luckily we got a hold of one of the English speaking concierge guys. He set us up with a car for day to both the Big Buddha and Mt Emei. Of course we didn’t know what Mt Emei was, but it was included. We paid 700 ($90.00).

Chengdu