Luoyang to Xian China

Xi'an Travel Blog

When I got up, I noticed loud music outside. It was the center park square that had the music on loudly and many groups doing Tai Chi and other exercises. This was pretty much the same as other towns that we visited.

We took a taxi to the train station. This was our only train ride we had on this trip.  We were a little apprehensive since the train station was crowded and mostly in Chinese so harder to understand the process and signs. We tried to upgrade our tickets but no soft sleepers left.

As you can see in the pictures below, you have to know your train number since none of the warnings that the train is coming is in English.  We got on the right train car with the help of someone else. The hard sleeper car was almost full and tight.  I barely found room to put my big suitcase. Our bunks were the 2 top bunks and as you can see, it was tight up there for a larger white guy. MH had no issues laying out and taking a nap. There is no air conditioning on the train, but we were lucky enough to have the fan near our heads. The toilet on the train was dirty and very smelly. I almost vomited just going in there. After our 5 hour train ride, we took a taxi to our hotel in Xian called the Xian Garden. It was a nice place and the staff was excellent and helpful.

This is probably a good time to mention that MH kept me alive with fruit and nut chewy granola bars on this trip. So between those snacks, her use of the Chinese language (which was way better than mine) plus the pocket translator, her preparedness of handy wipes and toilet paper, she made my trip way better.

At the Xian Garden Hotel our bellhop told us about several dinner shows around town. We decided to go to the one that was considered the best one and was also given a best pick in Fodor’s China Travel guide. The show was okay but we were so tired, I don't think we enjoyed it that much. MH fell asleep before it was over.

photo by: Deats