Beijing China - Great Wall Mutanyu

Beijing Travel Blog

We finally got back to Beijing Airport.  Luckily our hired driver was waiting there - he even had a couple of ice cold cokes.

Since we arrived back to Beijing later than originally planned, we changed our minds from going to the Great Wall in Simatai to Mutianyu.  The driver also thought we made the right choice. Since Mutianyu was about an hour closer than Simatai.

The wall was everything that I read about. The path of the wall up the side of mountain was breath taking. It is absolutely amazing to think that the original wall was built by hand on top of these mountain peaks. Being on the wall was a dream come true for me.

After walking up and down the wall for more than a mile, we had a choice to either: A) Walk all the way down the mountain on a small path; B) Walk back to the gondola we came up; C) Take a single rider, ¼ mile, toboggan down.

Well you know what I wanted to do! TOBOGGAN!

With just a little bit of coaching, MH agreed to go do it too. (Of course I made her go first in case she got cold feet).  It was a very long run all the way down. I caught up to MH, due to my heavier weight I'm sure, but I noticed half way down that MH started to gain speed. I figured she got the hang of it and went for it.

At the bottom of the mountain, there are many shops to haggle with for some souvenirs. Good place for cheap shirts and cups. Disappointed I couldn't find a shot glass. We found out later that Chinese people don't use shot glasses so it was unlikely I would get one in China.

After the great experience at the wall, we headed to a cloisonné factory.  It has been making vases, etc for over 200 years.

We were beat after that and checked back into the Park Plaza hotel.  We were so tired we ordered room service and had some of the best food in China (of course we were very hungry).

photo by: Eric