AsiaChinaBeijing

Beijing China

Beijing Travel Blog

We landed at the Beijing International Airport and made it through customs. After getting our bags, we went outside for a taxi to the hotel. After going outside, a woman in a blue blazer with a name tag that said “Official Beijing Taxi Service” asked if we needed a taxi. I said we were going to the Park Plaza Hotel. She quoted 380 Yuan (Chinese dollars). A man with a white shirt grabbed by bag and we started walking to a taxi. MH remembered reading something that said don’t go with white shirt taxi drivers. After she told me I grabbed my bag and we headed the opposite way to the real taxi stand. The real taxi ride cost us 82 Yuan! (Common theme at all Chinese airports we found out).

We checked into the Park Plaza Beijing Wangfujing. It was now about 4:00 PM Saturday. Our hotel was 10 minutes from Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City.  We thought we might as well go check out the local sights. Unfortunately Forbidden City was already closed.

We walked through Zhongshan Park next to the Forbidden City.  As we neared the entrance to Forbidden City, there was a rush of military men coming in.  They were yelling in bullhorns at all of the people near the front gate.  We didn't know what was going on. Another man who spoke English said we needed to leave the area because a man set himself on fire. I guess it is a normal political statement. We walked all the way around and saw the guards at the front. We decided to cross the street to the front of Tian'anmen Square. We couldn’t see much since the military blocked everything off. Since there was not much to see, we decided walk back the couple of miles to the Wangfujing shopping area and eat at a place the hotel concierge told us about.

One thing about Chinese restaurants over there, unless you ask, all of the food is not prepared hot. We had some good tasting short ribs but they were served at room temperature.
Beijing