Winter in Sydney

Sydney Travel Blog

Bondi

Have not had any travels outside Sydney since Fraser Island, but just thought I’d post an update.

I moved out of my flat in Elizabeth Bay at the beginning of May and into a new flat in Bondi. I thought it would be nice to live close to the beach (a bus ride away no longer seems close!) If you get off the main tourist strip on Bondi beach, the vibe of the neighbourhood is actually pretty chilled out and a bit bohemian/surferish. Although I am not really that far from the downtown core (3 stops on the train), it has a completely different atmosphere.

My street
I live with 2 Australians who are also in their twenties. And my new place is much cleaner and more modern. We have a good sized balcony with a big bbq too.

My street crosses with one of the main roads in Bondi so there is everything I need right there – lots of organic shops and cafes/bars. The coast line from Bondi Beach to Clovelly beach is really beautiful so sometimes I’ll run/walk this. There are also “Yoga by the Sea” classes by Bondi beach. On one occasion the teacher offered the class for free if you could spot a dolphin. Apparently there have been a lot lately and it is also a record for whale watching in Sydney. The whales are currently migrating north. Besides this, I have been keeping up with tennis and a bit of golf – just at the driving range.

I also just started teaching riding on Sundays! I wasn’t really looking for another job but one of my Canadian friends works for one of the riding academies at Centennial Stables.

Clovelly
Centennial stables is a massive riding centre (4 academies within) right in the middle of the city. There is a big public park (like Central Park) right beside it that you can ride in. They even have public equestrian facilities set up at one end of the park. I went to visit the stables one weekend with my friend and considered seeing about a job but my friend said she had tried for a year and a half before she got it. Well the next week, they mentioned to her that they needed someone and since one of the girls had met me, they offered me a teaching job on Sundays. Sundays are great because most people who come in just want to be taken on park rides. I can also ride the school horses when I like. I can’t imagine another place to live where I am a 5 minute drive from horse stables, a 10 minute walk to the beach and 3 stops to the city centre.

A couple of weeks ago, one of our clients – a big wine company here – was hosting a race day in Newcastle.

Randwick Race Day
They invited our company to sub sponsor one of the races so we went up for the day and had a nice lunch with lots of wine. When our race came up we got to watch from the winner’s circle and present the award and get our photo with the winning horse and jockey. Then we toasted with the owner in the winner’s lounge. I put some money down on a few races but lost some by the end of the day.

(The last race day I went to was the Royal Randwick and I actually came out on top then – not by much though!) The races are much fancier, more social events than in Canada. Fashion is a big part of it and it is on the whole a lot more fun.

Recently I went to two Canada parties – one for St. Jean Baptiste day – which I had never celebrated before and then a big party for Canada Day. The Canada Day party was great. They had a Canada themed menu with mini pancakes and maple syrup, poutine, “bear” burgers etc.

Tyrrells Race Day
They also had a Canadian themed cocktail list and imported a bunch of clamato juice just so they could make Caesers.

Work is still going well, we just had cake for mine and someone else's birthday. Tomorrow I’m going out for dinner to this well known thai restaurant, Longrain. I’m also trying to forget that I have a winter birthday. Although in a few weeks, I’m going to go to Thredbo ski resort - about 6 hours away. I will follow up then with comparisons on skiing down under!
St Jean Baptiste Day