Three Days in Paradise with Landcruiser

Fraser Island Travel Blog

This past weekend was the ANZAC day long weekend so naturally I had to take a trip somewhere. Made impulse decision to meet up with another traveller in Hervey Bay, Queensland on Thursday. From there you book into trips to Fraser Island, a World Heritage site. We booked a 3 day, 2 night camping trip. The island has no roads and is filled with beautiful forests, pristine acqua lakes, and shifting sand dunes. The thing to do on the island is to rent a Landcruiser on the mainland and then take it on the ferry over to island where you can drive all around on tracks and on the beach and camp in tents at night.

Hervey Bay is a quiet bungalow town, but the weather was beautiful and the Beaches Backpackers was pretty decent. We celebrated the upcoming weekend at the Beaches bar but not too late because we had to be ready at 6:30am to leave. In the morning we got put into groups. I got put in a group with the girl I met up with and 7 British guys. The back seats of the landcruiser were made into 2 rows facing inwards so we all fit in pretty well. Us girls did a mad rush grocery shopping for all of us with $180 for 3 days! (didn't think it was possible- turned out not to be sufficient anyway!) The boys bought the liquor - we had this in good supply. Then we were off.

I was the first to drive on the island - I can't tell you how much fun this was- both on the tracks and on the beach. Driving on the tracks was really bumpy at times but on the beach you could cruise around 80-100K/hour.

Lake Mackenzie
Until you hit a divet. Sometimes this would happen and the whole car would get splashed with salt water - a big no no but fun anyway.

We first went to Lake MacKenzie which is officially the most beautiful lake in the world. We also saw the Macheno Shipwreck which was a ship that crashed into the island on its way to Japan during the War. We went round some other lakes too, caught turtles, went to Indian Head - the shark lookout point, saw the shifting sand dunes everywhere and went to the Champagne Pools where the ocean waves in and because of the volcanic rocks it forms tiny little bubbles in the pools. The weather was absolutely gorgeous the whole time too.

At night we cooked and drank and ate at the "Base camp" with other groups. The site had tables, bathrooms and stove tops but was still pretty rustic. $2 for a 4 minute shower! Nobody could manage to stay up that late - living outside just puts you on an earlier time schedule. The last day we had no food but managed a Mackers stop before returning the car back in Hervey Bay. The last night back in Hervey Bay was fun too since everyone had gotten to know each other really well. All in all one of the most fun weekends I've ever had and one of the most beautiful places I have visited.

Aquedita says:
Oh my gosh, I HAVE to go there after those photos :O
BEAUTIFUL!
Posted on: Oct 18, 2008
Rubbertoe says:
Love it!! I was there just two weeks before you. I almost died swimming across Lake MacKenzie, slept both nights in the top of our landcruiser and celebrated my birthday skinny dipping in the ocean at midnight! I’d love to go back…
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008