Summer in Sydney

Sydney Travel Blog

Kings Cross

Summer is coming to an end here and I am starting to think about Queensland… I think there are still a couple more months of warm weather though before the beach becomes less appealing.

Last Saturday I went to the Sydney Royal Wineshow. There was lots of good wine but it was not as well presented to the public. It was an award show versus a trade show so there wasn’t that promotional feel. Just row upon row of tables lined up with bottles by class and you just went and helped yourself. I met a winemaker there who is friends with a friend and we are going to go stay at his guest house at the winery next weekend. After the show we had a good ol’ fashioined aussie barbie.

On the Sunday I went to catch my first cricket game at the Sydney Cricket Grounds with Ben and Rohan – both who knew enough to explain the basics to me.

Trop Fest
It was a state game NSW and Victoria. I think it’s a good sport to watch if you just want to chill out relax and drink. This got boring fast, so Ben and I went to Tropfest.

Tropfest is a massive outdoor short film festival. It’s been going for 16 years. It actually started at the Tropicana café on Victoria st. near where I live but it just grew and grew and now its held in the Domain Park for about 40,000 people and a total of 150 000 around Australia watch in different cities. 16 films are chosen for the festival and they all have to contain a common theme. This year’s theme was “8”. After the screening, judging is held and they announce winners in different categories. People often lounge for hours before hand with wine and picnics to get a good spot on the grass. It was pretty good and Ben and I both won Jameson beach chairs so we were pretty comfortable.

This past weekend was pretty nice so on Saturday I went to Manly Beach for some surfing.

Cruise ship at Circular Quay
There were lots of people out. A massive cruise ship arrived at Circular Quay and lots of people were out to watch it dock. On Sunday we actually saw it leave through the gap (two headlands of Sydney harbour). The surfing was good and as usual humbling. There are lots of surf schools out at Manly – mostly grommies! They all run out in rows to practice their paddling which is really cute.

Yesterday I went to Balmoral Beach – I hadn’t been back there since my first day in Sydney. It is beautiful there. There is a really nice restaurant too called the Bather’s Pavilion (the building used to be an old swimming pool.)

Work and everything else is still going well.

Cruise Ship leaving through the Gap
My office is moving soon to Darling Harbour which is a bit more exciting than the area we are in now but both are beautiful.

I love Elizabeth Bay where I am now living – I think many of you have already seen pics of my place. Its interesting anyway being so close to the Cross (Kings Cross) There is the ultimate culture clash going on – for example, there is a brothel right next to the poshest girls school. Bondi beach is pretty close for me too, just a quick bus ride away, although I much prefer Manly but its further for me because its on the north shore so you have to catch a ferry.

On Saturday and Sunday there are markets in the main meeting area of where the Cross intersects with Elizabeth Bay.
Manly Beach
I often go with a friend and pick up good coffee, oysters, cheese, gozlemes and bread. Sundays are a bit more craft oriented. I also went to Opera bar which I never get tired of. After work it is especially nice because of the light. I took some pics this time which I am posting. So much of Sydney is incredibly picturesque. My walk home now is great, I start in the Rocks, go past Circular Quay, then through the Domain Park, sometimes stopping at this harbour side outdoor pool, then I am in Wooloomooloo – great are for restaurants and bars. The “finger wharf” which stretches out into the harbour is a strip of some of Sydney’s best. I sometimes stop at the Tilbury with friends (on Thursdays you can get a dozen oysters and 2 glasses of champagne for $20!) After that it is just a short walk through Potts Point until I am back in Elizabeth Bay.
Bather's Pavilion
ceiling of Gazebo Wine bar (always…
ceiling of Gazebo Wine bar (alway…
Chalice Ave, Potts Point