Hunter Valley Part 1

Sydney Travel Blog

Horse Riding in Hunter

This past weekend I went up to the Hunter Valley for the second time. My friend and I stayed at a cottage that belonged to the owner of one of the wineries. It was a beautiful cottage with wrap-around verandah just steps from the vineyard and cellar door. We drove up from Sydney on Friday night and stayed until Sunday.

It is coming to the end of the harvest season. The whites were all picked a while ago and unfortunately, it was a bit of a lost year for the reds due to all the rain that came recently. As a consequence, some winemakers will purchase grapes from south australia to make their red wines and others will suffer huge financial loss.

I had the opportunity to spend some time with the winemakers of two labels that I like - Songlines estates and Glendore.

I also visited Tintilla which I love and is the most beautiful. It is great to be able to just hang out and talk to the winemakers as friends rather than other times i have gone on wine trips just as a tourist. It was interesting to hear all the industry talk and gossip. We definitely made the most of our time, dropping in on a number of people and hearing some great stories.

It was a good weekend for visitors because the weather was gorgeous and this one winery, Tempus Two was holding a Santana concert (they often have concerts - the week before was Rod Stewart). I was in the office of this one winery when we all watched a tour bus pull up outside the cellar door and about 10 people in crazy hats all piled out. The owner was like Bloody Hell, because it is a small family owned winery that does high end wine.

me and Bruce at Glendore
He said "what concerns me about this lot, is that they're not interested in wine, they just want to get pissed for free." The law in NSW wouldn't allow to charge for tastings, but now that there are new liquor laws that will change and they will be able to charge $5 a head if they need too.

As well as being given more excellent wine than we knew what to do with over the weekend - a friend dropped by in the morning with a glass of frothy pink stuff - rose wine still in the fermentation phase. That was interesting! I also got to see Kangaroos hopping through the vineyards on one of my walks - that was so picturesque. The horse riding was pretty lame, but at least there was good scenery. We also stopped at a couple of the big wineries that I hadn't made it to - Tyrrells (because they're a client of ours), McWilliams Mount Pleasant(connection there) and McGuigan (because they have a cheese factory too and they're massive).

All in all a great weekend, and there is more to come ...

williamsworld says:
This was great. I will be going to Sydney and really want to visit the area. What is the best way to get there? I have a train pass and so I would love any advice.
Thanks, Britt