Changes in environment

Sydney Travel Blog

Newport Arms, Newport Beach

The election was an interesting experience. The Labour party won by a large measure and the former PM, John Howard even lost in his own riding. (The Liberals had been in power for 11 or 13 years.) Politics here are pretty entertaining, and I think more people pay attention since voting is mandatory. Also some funny/unbelievable stories happen here (the husband of a liberal party candidate was caught putting up fake posters of an extremist Islamic group that claimed support from the Labour party, Kevin Rudd got chased around by local comedians with a man size Q-tip while being asked if he’d like a nibble after he was caught with his finger in his ear during question period, and a few years ago the leader of the opposition physically beat up a taxi driver, breaking his arm.) On Saturday I went to an election party at a local hotel/pub (pubs are called hotels for the most part). It was an extremely left (Labour) supporting group of people, so at least there was an upbeat atmosphere. The people were generally ecstatic because they had been waiting so long for a change.

West Head Beach
After Howard conceded and made his speech, they played “Hit the road, Jack” and people partied for a while longer.

I have now been to about half a dozen beaches in the greater Sydney region from the super populated Bondi Beach to the more secluded spots like West Head Beach, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (See Pictures). I am beginning to get a sense of how powerful waves can get and have felt the beginnings of a rip. It is definitely not all fun and games all the time. There is a lot to learn about the ocean in terms of knowing how to navigate through big waves, spotting a rip etc. West Head was just featured in the Sydney Herald magazine as one of Sydney’s great “secret spots.” (There was also a write up on the restaurant Ripples that I went to at Chowder Bay, described as “too fab for just the locals” ��" and it was.

Sydney Aquarium
) Besides this I have been to a few really great bars, pubs/hotels and restaurants. They seem to be sprinkled everywhere.

Last weekend, I also went to the Sydney aquarium which was pretty impressive. There were a few really big tanks with tunnels in the middle of them that you walked through so you could see seals, sharks, fish swim up all around you and over your head. They play classical music throughout the aquarium so aside from the other tourists and kids it is almost meditative to watch the fish. (See pictures)

The weather is heating up and I am looking forward to the upcoming holidays. I want to get out to the bush during that time. The environment is really amazing and there is so much to know about the different plants and animals.

Sydney Aquarium
(I ate kangaroo for the first time this week, pretty good!) There are also a lot of animals you need to know about that you wish you didn’t like the many poisonous spiders, cockroaches and the thousands of bats. The landscape is at least dramatic. This quintessential Australian poem sums it up well.

I love a sunburned country
A land of sweeping plains
Of rugged mountain ranges
Of drought and flooding rain
I love her far horizons
I love her jeweled sea
Her beauty and her terror
‘Tis the wide brown land for me

Adrian_Liston says:
I really missed being in Australia for the election, but my wife and I stayed up all night watching it on the internet and we were cheering every time the results for Bennelong came up :)

PS, it is Labor Party, not Labour Party. Odd, I know, but they thought at one point that Australia was going to start spelling like America, so the Labour Party changed their name to look modern - and never got around to changing it back when we kept English spelling.
Posted on: Dec 06, 2007
Barrenjoey head & Palm Beach
Barrenjoey head & Palm Beach
Barrenjoey head at Westhead beach
Barrenjoey head at Westhead beach
Blackened trees (from fire)
Blackened trees (from fire)
Palm Beach Golf Course