Island in the Sun

Hawaii Travel Blog

Surfing lesson

I arrived the night of Halloween in Honolulu, Hawaii. Honolulu is on the Oahu island. My B&B was located next to Diamond Head, and just a 5 minute walk from Waikiki beach. Waikiki is described as "like South Beach but without the attitude" The beach is gorgeous and the main street is lined with shops and restaurants. It seems somehow inappropriate to walk into a Prada or Gucci wearing a bathing suit and with sand on your feet, but here it is completely normal.

The breakfasts at the B&B are great. Every morning there is a massive platter of fresh fruit: mango, papaya, pineapple, persimmon, melon, banana, breadfruit etc plus a local type of english muffin, frittatas or something of the like.

There is a lot of Japanese influence which is evidenced in the number of sushi restaurants. My first meal out was ahi tuna sashimi which is available everywhere. There are also coffee shops where you can ask them to throw in a shot of Kahlua. My best meal was my last at Mi Casa Taqueria - very fresh fish soft shell tacos and salad.

Surfing was fun but the back of me is completely burned and I have 2 bruises on my hips from the board. I am going to miss my host and her maid Sumiko who reminded me of a medicine woman. The bed I had at the B&B belonged to the Hawaiian Princess Ruth (from when Hawaii was its own Kingdom). Its the biggest bed I've ever seen. Princess Ruth who was over 400 pounds, was born and died in that bed. My room also had its own porch and massive bathroom.

I also went to visit the Royal Palace which was beautiful. An older couple from my B&B happened to be going at the same time so they invited me to go with them. They have a friend who is a native to Hawaii and a docent at the palace, so we got a free private tour. The second day I walked part way up Diamond Head (There is a large crater that you can enter inside and that leads to trails.) I finished my last day with a final swim and a mai tai on the main strip.

Lanafromhawaii says:
I love having surfing bruises. It's the sign of a day well spent.
Posted on: Nov 10, 2008
Eric says:
Cool Waikiki beach is a great place to learn how to surf. Surprised you were able to find a wave without 30 other people on it, though! ;)
Posted on: Oct 17, 2008