Geneva, Switzerland

Geneva Travel Blog

Jet D'Eau (3)

So the next stop on my trip was Geneva. I didn't stop by the United Nations, so I can't school you in interesting facts about Geneva. Actually, to be honest, I didn't enjoy Geneva all that much. When I got to Geneva was when I started feeling just how bruised my feet got after canyoning. Canyoning the day before, and walking around Montreux all day long, left my feet in a sad state. It hurt to walk. Climbing up the little ladder to the top bunk in my hostel made me want to cry.

Montreux and Geneva were the first French parts of Switzerland that I encountered. It was very interesting stepping on a train in a German speaking city and stepping off in a French speaking one. But you might ask, how different could it really be? Let me just put it this way. When I was Lucerne and Interlaken, I felt like I was in Switzerland.

Jardin Anglais Fountain Up Close
When I was in Geneva, I felt like I was in France. I'm not crazy about France. But none the less I will share with you some the things I enjoyed.

Geneva did have a nice waterfront. And of course, it is home to the famous Jet D'Eau. It is the world's tallest water fountain. When you are approaching the city by train, you can see the fountain from far off. Not the most impressive site, but you can't deny that the shear height is something that should be acknowledged.

Along the waterfront you'll find many parks to enjoy, well, at least I enjoyed them. I found the Jardin Anglais fountain to be quite nice. Another "famous" site in Geneva is the Horloge Fleurie (flower clock). Evidentally I wasn't there to see it in full bloom, but you get the idea!

I spent a day strolling through downtown Geneva.
Parc Des Bastions
Great for shopping. Not so great if you are trying to find a place to eat. I walked up and down almost every street without finding a single place to eat. Whats up with that?

Since we are on the food subject, I will talk about my first fondue experience. My first day in Geneva I met a guy from Italy. He had went to school in Geneva, so he was quite familiar with the city. He gave me some pointers and spots to check out. He recommended this one Swiss fondue restaurant. He said that his Swiss girlfriend goes there when she wants fondue, so it had to be good. So went I did. I will say it was very tasty and enjoyable (except for the French waiter's attitude). Although its hard to get used to a lunch consisting completely of bread and melted cheese. I also did not drink wine with my fondue, which apparently is a fopa (is that even how you spell that?).
Cathedrale de St. Pierre (1)
I had water with my meal, which is supposed to be the worse thing you can do. Apparently, water will make the cheese solidfy in your stomach quickly, increasing the chance of a stomach ache. Thankfully I didn't get one.

Continuing on... I visited the Parc Des Bastions. It had some large chess boards which the dork in me screams... awesome! Along the park wall there are engravings and statues dedicated to famous theologians (Beze, Calvin, Farel, Knox, etc.).

The park is the home of the Geneva University. I was quite surprised to see just how small it was. But I guess University's are quite a different thing out there.

I also spent some time checking out one of Geneva's famous churches, Cathedrale de St. Pierre. Once again, my luck with churches continues. They all seem to be undergoing some sort of construction when I come to visit.

After checking out the Cathedrale, I took a walk through the historical avenues of Geneva.

And to end the day, I headed out one last time to get one last shot of Jet D'Eau... at night. Glad it turned out.

Enough of the French cities. Lets see some more Swiss ones. Off to Zermatt!

Jet DEau (3)
Jet D'Eau (3)
Cathedrale de St. Pierre (1)
Parc Des Bastions - Theologians Be…
Parc Des Bastions - Theologians B…
Geneva University
Geneva University
Cathedrale de St. Pierre (2)
Cathedrale de St. Pierre (2)
Cathedrale de St. Pierre (3)
Cathedrale de St. Pierre (3)
Old Town Geneva (1)
Jardin Anglais Fountain
Jardin Anglais Fountain
Geneva Waterfront
Geneva Waterfront
Horloge Fleurie (flower clock)
Horloge Fleurie (flower clock)
Downtown Geneva
Downtown Geneva
Geneva Museum (1)
Geneva Museum (1)
Geneva Museum (2)
Geneva Museum (2)
Geneva Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
You are in Switzerland... a land of cheese and chocolate. So its only natural to want to get some fondue while you are there. But how do you distingui… read entire review
Geneva