Crete

Crete Travel Blog

A fresco in Knossos

On the boat we heard about a terrorist attack on London. Of course we didn't have a clue what was going on and it wouldn't be until we got home that we would discover exactly what had happened. We arrived in Iraklio, Crete quite late and didn't really wat to go hunting for a hotel so Jill insisted that we go to the first youth hostel in the guidebook even though the book says it's dodgy and not reccomended. We got there saw how dirty it was and went to leave. The owner insisted that we had to pay them money for the room and had to pay them money. They refused to let us leave until we did. So we paid them and went to a much nicer hostel. The owner said that he had had a lot of people complain about the Iraklio Youth Hostel. For the same price as the dorm we got a private room and if it wasn't for the road works outside this would have been a nice place to stay.

Charlene and Jill in front of fresco

The next day we went off to explore Iraklio and to see the Archeological museum, the second largest on Greece after the one in Athens. It was good quite a lot about the Minoans including frescos from Knossos which we were going to see later. We then jumped on a bus to Knossos. I didn't particularly enjoy Iraklio as it's just another industrial city.

Knossos was amazing. It was somewhere I had wanted to see since I heard about the Minotaur when I was 8/9. Course there's no Minotaur there anymore not that there ever was but the site was briliant. Apart from the lack of shade and the pure heat was unbelieveable. As was Jill's idea to go sit in the open. I loved seeing the throne room etc and the frescos. Though the tour groups were insane.

Sunset over the harbour at Hania
We'd been away from main tourist sites for a while so it was really bad to see the tour groups again. We then got on a bus over to Hania for the Samaria Gorge trek.

The bus ride was one of the most beautiful I had ever been on, and that's including the bus up to Delphi, along the coast. We got to Hania which confused Jill because it could be spelt Hania or Chania and she just got confused. The town itself was amazing. I loved it. Instead of an industrial town it was much more friendly. We had booked a room in a hotel near the bus stop for the Samaria Gorge so we could be out early. We walked in to find a man we had met in Iraklio, then Knossos and had now got here before us.

Charlene during Samaria Gorge trek
He thought we were stalking him for some reason. We walked around Hania for a while and realised it was even more beautiful than we already thought. We ate then headed for bed as we had to be up early.

Next morning  I wasn't feeling well and after 2 weeks of carrying heavy trekking boots around I didn't use them as I couldn't do the trek. So I slept in the hotel room while Charlene and Jill went to do the trek. Very boring day.

Net day we went exploring. We headed down to the harbour to look around. Me and Charlene went on a horse and carriage ride around the harbour which was good, got photos devloped (yes at this point I hadn't gone digital I did a couple of months later though main reason none of my photos are on this website) and just generally explored while Jill sat around. We then got on an overnight ferry back to Athens

A fresco in Knossos
Charlene and Jill in front of fres…
Charlene and Jill in front of fre…
The Samaria Gorge