My yearly X-country ski adventure

Tannersville Travel Blog

Track view

I try to do it at least once a year... Cross Country Skiing. Two years ago the conditions were excellent. Last year not so great. And this winter did not seem to provide good opportunities either.

But, yesterday we had another blizzard. In the city only a few flurries, but in the mountain areas of course more snow. The website of Mountain Trails in Tannersville, in the Catskill Mountains, reported 12 inches of snow. And although temperatures for today were forecasted way above the freezing point, I still decided to head there. After all, this might be my last chance.

I had visited the site two years ago, see here, and it looked the same.

Snow patterns
Mountain Trails provides several miles of Cross Country trails, nicely groomed. There was plenty of snow and the sun was shining beautifully. Unfortunately the snow got rather slushy because of the temperature which rose as high as 10 °C (50 F). This made it difficult to get control and I ended up in the snow, next to the trail and twice in the bushes next to the trails. Besides that huge lumps of snow were constantly falling from the trees. Very refreshing!

Yet, I had a great day, with a not so great muscle pain the days after.

More pictures below! Deze fake-tekst heb ik toegevoegd om net iets meer regels te genereren zodat deze rare website toestaat dat de bijgesloten foto ook vertoond wordt. Deze fake-tekst heb ik toegevoegd om net iets meer regels te genereren zodat deze rare website toestaat dat de bijgesloten

spocklogic says:
Although I grew up in New England, I never much liked snow or snow sports, but always found it beautiful in a way. I certainly enjoyed your photos and they reminded me of winter childhoods in New England.
Posted on: Mar 15, 2013