An urban farm, spring, and my name in Battery Park

Manhattan Travel Blog

Spring in Battery Park

I am almost convinced I am doomed with regards to the Staten Island Ferry. Nine out of every ten times I intend to catch the ferry I just miss it. I step out of the Bowling Green subway station and "TOOOOOT" I see (and hear) the big yellow boat leave the terminal. And today was, of course, one of those nine occasions.

The weather was quite pleasant so I decided to kill the upcoming 25 minutes by strolling through Battery Park. Battery Park is one of my favorite parks in the city. It is always lively, has great views, but maybe a bit too many tourists.

Since March this year the park houses an interesting project. An Urban Farm. The farm, the first public farm in the city since the Dutch founded one in 1625, is turkey-shaped in honor of Zelda the Turkey, who lives in Battery Park.

Michiel /Michael, I listen to both!
It is bordered with bamboo sticks and grows vegetables that will be on sale later on this year in the park.

Spring was evident, many cherry trees blossomed beautifully and gave color to the skyscraper landscape.

Battery Park houses a Dutch text on the Netherland Memorial. I was, however, surprised finding another Dutch item in the park, my name! An artist who paints names in Chinese and Japanese characters had some samples on display. And one of them was my name... This had to be checked of course. Henk, (aka "Monsieur" my friend from high school, who lives in China and speakes (and writes) Chinese very well was so kind to analyze the characters for me. "麦 = mai, 可 = ke, 欧 = ou. His expert conclusion: it displays "Michael" and thus NOT my name.....

More picures below!