An unexpected Dutch touch #1 - Holland American Bakery

Sussex Travel Blog

Sussex, New Jersey, USA

I had a very weird Dutch experience today. Last week I decided to return to the Netherlands at the end of my expat contract, which ends near the end of this year. I feel sad about that, but given the situation I think it is the best option.

Still a bit sad and over thinking my decision I went out today for some fresh air during another hike. I planned to hike in High Point State Park, near the highest point of the state of New Jersey (see next blog). On my way driving there, in the village of Sussex, I all of a sudden passed the Holland American Bakery. Not just a bakery with that name, but located in a very Dutch Open air Museum like building, complemented with a wind mill.

It turns out this is a company owned by a third generation Dutch family, descendants from the founder, Walter Valkema who came to the US in 1952 and discovered that selling Dutch cookies was a better job than working on a farm.

Sussex, New Jersey, USA

I, of course, had to see what was inside. I found a really Dutch environment, a lot of Delft Blue, and cookies, of course. But also liquorice (drop), and all kinds of Dutch candy, as well as Indonesian (former Dutch colony) specialties. The bakery, unfortunately, did not sell the typical Dutch "krentenbol".

I left with a little bag of griotten and I briefly wondered why I encountered such a Dutch scene after deciding going back to NL.

One more picture below. Deze fake-tekst heb ik toegevoegd om net iets meer regels te genereren zodat deze rare website toestaat dat de bijgesloten foto

Sussex