A new king in the Netherlands

Manhattan Travel Blog

The new king, the former queen, and the new queen as seen at 4:33 am in New York

The 30th of April is a national holiday in the Netherlands, called Koninginnedag (Queens Day). On Koninginnedag the birthday of Queen Beatrix is celebrated. The 30th of April was actually the birthday of her mother, but was kept as a national holiday because Beatrix was born on the 31st of January, not a very handy date for outside festivities.

A disadvantage of being an expat in the US is that I do not get a day off and do not experience any Queens Day festivities. A few years ago I attended a Koninginnedag session in the Netherland Club of New York, see here. But normally the Koninginnedag is something I do not notice here.

Today's Koninginnedag was a special one, since Queen Beatrix has decided to abdicate in favor of her son, crown prince Willem-Alexander. Since this is not something that happens often I wanted to experience at least the abdication ceremony which was "broadcasted" live on YouTube.

At 3:55 AM Sana and I woke up, and with sleepy heads we hooked up my PC tot the TV and started watching. We were just in time to see the ceremony that took place in Amsterdam. Basic but still impressive!

At 5:00 AM we decided to continue our night, now as citizens with a king.

The new king, the former queen, an…
The new king, the former queen, a…
photo by: Fitnessguru729