My annual visit to Governors Island

Governors Island Travel Blog

It has become a tradition to visit the beautiful Governor's Island every year. See here: 2008, 2009a, 2009b, 2011! (2010 did not make it into this blog.) In those logs I have written almost everything about the island that can be said (without going in too many details). So, those who are dying to know more, please follow the links!

Since Willem and Lot had always visited outside of the Governors Island Season I insisted that they had a quick peek at the island. I joined them of course.

The exhibition of Marc di Suvero's art (organized in co-operation with Storm King Art Center, see the 2011 visit) was still on the island.

View towards Manhattan
But, to my HUGE disappointment, unlike the previous years, the beautiful historic houses at Park Row, nor the several other structures were not open for the public anymore. The Southern Tip of the island had been fenced of for the conversion into a city park.

Many of the beautiful historic houses have started a rapid decay. The porch of a house I visited two years ago was now already showing holes in the rotten wooden deck. Even the porch of the house where president Gorbachev once stayed is fenced off. It is really a pity that so much beautiful and unique housing space is standing vacant, deteriorating.

A fresh coconut, sold by a nice Jamaican vendor, made me feel better. While enjoying this natural treat we witnessed a cluster of small planes writing a text in the air, with water vapor. Very innovative!

More pictures below!Deze fake-tekst heb ik toegevoegd om net iets meer regels te genereren zodat

On our way to Governors Island
On our way to Governors Island
The coconut vendor had an old Dutc…
The coconut vendor had an old Dut…
Staten Island ferry