Visiting the Iridium for a concert of John Wetton and the Les Paul Trio

Manhattan Travel Blog

Lou Pallo, Nicky Parrot, and John Wetton

One of the New York City things I had never done yet, and still wanted to do before I left, was visiting a Jazz Club. And, that happened tonight.

Werner, the guy who initiated my expatship in the first place, and Lisa invited me to join them to a concert of John Wetton and the Les Paul Trio in the Jazz Club The Iridium.

The Iridium has been operating continuously since 1995. That is remarkable, since there are not that many similar clubs that have been in business that long. The Iridium's philosophy was presenting the legends as well as young relatively unknown artists. The club started at 63rd street and moved later, in 2001, to the current location on Broadway. Several major releases were recorded in the club.

We were just in time to grab a perfect table. Not too close to the stage but still with a great view. And while we enjoyed a really great pasta dinner the evening was opened by the Les Paul Trio (Lou Pallo (guitar), Nicky Parrott (base), and an untraceable but really great piano player). The trio played very impressively. Especially the absence of drums made the performance extra powerful. They were later joined by the British singer John Wetton.

The whole evening I kept wondering why I had never done this before. It was fantastic!

Thank you very much Werner and Lisa!

Lou Pallo, Nicky Parrot, and John …
Lou Pallo, Nicky Parrot, and John…
Manhattan