Theodore Roosevelt Island and TR Memorial

Theodore Roosevelt Island - DC Travel Blog

The swamp lands on the island

New York City has its own Roosevelt Island. I have written many times about the nice little island. It is named after Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Washington DC also has a Roosevelt Island, Theodore Roosevelt Island, to be exact.

As the name already states it is named after the other president Roosevelt. In the weblog of my previous visit to Washington DC I already mentioned that there are several monuments in DC for former presidents. The Lincoln Memorial is one of the best known. The majority of these monuments is located on or around the National Mall in the heart of the city. Teddy Roosevelt's memorial, however, is located on Theodore Roosevelt Island. To get there one has to drive or take the metro to Virginia and walk quite a distance.

Theodore Roosevelt Memorial

I did the latter. And after some walking along a busy highway I arrived at the bridge that allows access to the 36 ha (89 acre) big island. The location for Teddy's memorial is excellently chosen. While crossing the bridge to the island the area reminded me of the swamp lands near Sagamore Hill, Teddy's house on Long Island NY.

Arriving at the island one still has not the idea that one is near a memorial. It just looks like a forest. The only items hinting to the memorial are the National Park Service maps and signs. The island is a little oasis in the city, it is covered with woods, little hills and an impressive swamp.

I decided to first walk along the island and after enjoying the features just mentioned I ended up at the memorial, which is nice but in my opinion less impressive that the other memorials in the city. I a certain way a pity for one of the most remarkable presidents. On the other hand, it is exactly the place for Theo Roosevelt: a lot of nature, and that is something the president and nature lover, would have appreciated.

More pictures below!

Theodore Roosevelt Memorial
The boardwalk that gives access to…
The boardwalk that gives access t…
Theodore Roosevelt Island - DC