Red Hill and Red Hill Tower

Red Hill - NY Travel Blog

Red Hill Fire Tower

Another personal revenge in the Catskills! See here why! On the 7th of March 2010 I decided to make a short hike in the Catskills. At that time there was no snow in New York City, but boy, I forgot that the Catskills are real mountains with a much colder climate! When I arrived near the trail head that day, the snow was more than a meter (3 ft) high, blocking my access to the parking and blocking my access to the trail. See this picture to get an impression of the amounts of snow I encountered at that time.

Today I gave it another try. And although it had been around 10 °C (50 F) in the city for the past week. There was again snow at this place. Fortunately not so much and also melting away. But, this time the muddy road prevented me from reaching the trailhead parking. Fortunately, I could walk there, adding an extra kilometer (0.

View from the tower
6 mile) to my hike, twice.

The 910-meter (2990 ft) high mountain is home to one of the last fire towers constructed in the Catskills, the 18-meter (60 ft) high Red Hill Fire Tower, constructed in 1920. The tower was closed and re-opened several times. Until 1990 when it closed for good, as the last tower in the Catskills. The access road tot the tower is not usable anymore for hikers, since it is located on private land. Luckily the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference created a new trail that ran fully on state land.

Using that trail, which was still covered in snow, I made the 250-meter (800 ft) climb to the tower. The 360° view from the tower was pretty cool. Cool as in both stunning and (because of the wind chill) cold!

A nice website on the Red Hill Fire tower is here! And, of course, more pictures below!

Icicles along the trail
Icicles along the trail
Still some snow available!
Still some snow available!
Green and white
Green and white
GPS Height Profile
GPS Height Profile
GPS track, note how the trail rema…
GPS track, note how the trail rem…
Red Hill - NY