Participate in the corporate challenge

Manhattan Travel Blog

The JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge is a sportive running event that grew out to a mondial event that mobilizes several thousands of people all over the world. The idea of the Corporate Event is to run a distance of 3.5 miles (5.63 km). The event is open to all employees of corporations, businesses and financial institutions, just as long as they work 25 hours per week and have been employed by the company for at least three months prior to race night.

The first Corporate Challenge was run in 1977 in New York City. Only 200 runners participated at that time. Today the race is still run in New York, in Central Park. By now it is 30.000 runners participate, distributed over two evenings. Some of them run, but the majority downgraded the race to a walking tour.

Your reporter (photo John Liang)
Besides in New York City, the race is also run in: Johannesburg, Singapore, Rochester, Chicago, Boston, Buffalo, Frankfurt, Syracuse, London, San Francisco, and Sydney. The participants need to pay a fee to enter the race. A part of this fee is donated to a good cause, in New York  the Central Park Conservancy.

APG has been participating in the Corporate Challenge for some years. I decided to participate this year as well. Since I am absolutely not a runner but, as steady readers of this log know, an avid hiker I decided to walk the Challenge. My colleague Martella would walk with me. Other participants, like, Mike, Dempsey, Doug, Steven, Mary, and Peter, would run. The route of the run is horse shoe shaped, starting at the west side of Central Park at 72nd street, going all the way up to 104th Street and back down to 72nd street via the east side.

The race (photo John Liang)

Martella got stuck in traffic and could not make it in time to the start. The APG runners had already left, so it looked like I had to walk by myself. When I entered the start corrals, 15 minutes after the start shot, there were still hundreds of people waiting in line to start. I, accidentally, ran into Peter, who had been stuck in the human traffic jam. We started amongst the last 100 participants. The road was so crowded that Peter decided that he would walk with me. We walked in a high pace and passed about a thousand fellow walkers. A park ranger at the upper east side was displeased by the huge crowd of walkers. "Hey guys, is this a race or Parade?" he cried out, with disapproval in his voice.

Peter and I finished within 57 minutes making an average of 6 km/h (3.7 mph). The APG runners (who had scored 22 to 32 minutes), Martella (who had arrived), John, (our photographer) and Alex (our luggage guard), had waited patiently for us.

See the results of the APG team here.

More pictures below!