No taxation, no representation.

Manhattan Travel Blog

The people of Washington D.C., the part of continental USA that is no state, use it as the slogan on their car registration plates: "Taxation, but no representation". It is a silent protest since the people living in the District of Columbia (the greater area surrounding the City of Washington), do not have a vote in US Congress.

Sometimes I feel a real outcast in the US. Although I have to pay taxes here I do not have any voting rights. Fortunately I still have voting rights in The Netherlands for the European and the national elections. But, not for the elections on a province level. This is partly a logical thing since I do not live in any of the provinces. On the other hand, I do not live in The Netherlands either and yet I have a voting right for the national elections. And another argument: the provincial election result in the composition of the Senate, which has an influence at national level.

So, today these provincial elections took place in the Netherlands and I was not allowed to vote. Sad! On the otherhand, I do not pay taxes in The Netherlands so: "No taxation, no representation!" apparently also applies to me.

photo by: Fitnessguru729