The New York Aquarium and last time Brooklyn

Coney Island Travel Blog

A giant stingray flying by

Again, with my upcoming return to the Netherlands in mind I felt I had to visit one of the famous New York attractions that I still had not visited in all those NY years.... The New York Aquarium!

The New York Aquarium is located at the Coney Island Boardwalk and is the oldest continually operating aquarium in the United States. It opened in 1896 in Battery Park in Manhattan. It had to close in 1941 when the construction of the Brooklyn - Battery Tunnel was expected to undermine the foundations of the venue. Its aquatic residents were lodged in The Bronx Zoo. It would take 16 years until it reopened at the current location in Brooklyn. It has been open en expanding ever since. Except for last year, when Super storm Sandy forced it out of business for some time and, ironically, killed many fish.

The aquarium is now a part of the Wildlife Conservation Society, the society that also manages the New York Zoos.

Nathans in Coney Island, a classic!
I had visited the Bronx Zoo earlier with Wynanda and Arnoud (see here). So, I thought visiting the Aquarium together with them would be a nice and logical sequel.

The aquarium was pretty nice but, unfortunately, due to the Sandy damage a lot of the aquarium was still closed. So, our visit took not too long. Allowing us some time to enjoy the boardwalk and lunch at Nathans, another business that had recently emerged after been struck by Sandy.

And so did I sadly experience another last visit. Goodbye Coney Island, goodbye Brooklyn!

More pictures below.