National Museum of American History

Washington Travel Blog

America on the move

Today would be my return journey to New York. But today it is also the 4th of July, Independence Day! I decided to at least spend the morning and part of the afternoon in DC. My metro ride to downtown was initially pretty conventional, but upon reaching the center it got busier and busier. At some point I thought all Americans had come to DC to celebrate their national holiday.

My aim was the National Museum of American History, another fine museum of the Smithsonian family. After politely forcing myself a way through many people who had sat down at Constitution Avenue I managed to cross the avenue and reach the museum. I was early, so, in time to enter without delays. When I left the museum the line of people waiting to enter was incredibly long.

The first thing that became crystal clear was the fact that I would never be able to see everything.

America on the move
This museum is Huge with a capital H! I started in the east wing in a very interesting and impressive exposition called "America on the Move". The exhibit takes the visitor through time and through several locations within the US, showing them the old ships, early trains, streetcars, the development of the car, aviation, and tourism. The exhibition took almost all my time. The other exhibitions in the east wing were somewhat smaller or less interesting. Although the exhibition For All The World To See: Visual Culture and the Struggle for Civil Rights was very impressive as well.

It is "horrible" but I will have to go back to DC many times....

More pictures below!