Monschau

Monschau Travel Blog

Inside

After a day of hiking around the city of Monschau my stomach signaled me that is was about time to get some food. I initially intended to eat at the restaurant at today's trailhead, a few miles outside of the city. Unfortunately that one was closed due to a private event. Since Monschau is a very picturesque little town I decided to once again make a small hike to the city (to avoid the, for Germany, outrageous parking fees). The great woods trail took me via some roaring streams and pleasant forest to the city entrance.

It was already that late that the masses of tourists had left. The sun which had been expected to arrive at noon (and never arrived so far) finally made its appearance illuminating the deserted village, giving me the greatest and unobstructed views. Just perfect!

After a Wiener Schnitzel with fries and asparagus and now well after sunset, I decided to challenge my muscles one more time by hiking up to the highest point of the city where Monschau's huge castle is located. The impressive building dates back to the 13th century. It is now used as a concert venue and youth hostel and as such accessible.

More pictures below.