Lenoir Preserve - Lenoir Mansion - Alder Manor

Lenoir Preserve - Yonkers - NY Travel Blog

Lenoir Mansion

The visit to the Untermyer Park (see previous blog entry) was impressive and refreshing. But the day was not over yet. A second park, the Lenoir Preserve, was conveniently close to Untermyer. Less than a mile, about 1 kilometer away. I decided to have a quick look there as well.

The Lenoir Preserve has a similar history as the Untermyer Park. It used to be the land of a wealthy land owner who had built a nice mansion with great Hudson views, surrounded by a beautiful gardens. This park actually housed two mansions, Ardenwold, which burnt down in 1970 and the 1850 Lenoir Mansion, which is till here, although it looks completely empty.

The grounds are, like Untermyer Park, mostly wooded, but also comprises an impressive lawn with former flower terraces and a butterfly garden.

Sculpture Garden of Alder Estate

I, however, came for the neighboring, and much bigger, mansion, the Alder Mansion. A beautiful Italian style building built about 100 years ago. Complete with a sculpture garden, fountains etc. The house has been empty for a long time and is now owned by an Irish cultural center which is said to undertake restoration activities. I read about it in my book "Hiking the Road to Ruins" that describes hikes to abandoned structures and sites that can be visited in a legal way.

So, I made my way to the site, and I was thrilled by what I saw. Incredibly beautiful decaying statues, walls, gates, fountains, pools. Beautiful! The only disturbing thing was a sign "no trespassing". I conveniently assumed that sign was meant for an empty nearby building, so I dared to walk in and take some pictures. During my blog research I found out that the site is indeed off limits. I hope the Irish will forgive me.

More pictures below!

Sculpture Garden of Alder Estate
A bit of a scary mirror in the Scu…
A bit of a scary mirror in the Sc…
Lenoir Preserve - Yonkers - NY